Regarding the Priesthood

Is it recommended to study the different subjects that are taught in the priesthood to try and discern if you want to be a priest?

I’ve talked to several different priests about my discernment process. From a general standpoint from what I’ve heard and read, studying ancient philosophy and theology are both required and a good idea for those considering the priesthood. These topics will you understand more about your personal faith while also learning more about the world. I hope this helps. Remember though, the priesthood isn’t something we choose to go into, it is something we are called to.

John 15:16 “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.”

Reading books will help but if you truly want to see if this is where God is leading, I suggest that you contact several priests in your area and ask if you can shadow them for a few days. Shadowing will provide more of an eye opener than reading a bunch of books. Furthermore, all of the priests I know have different backgrounds. Most of them studied something other than theology before entering the seminary. I agree with this practice because it enables one to interact with people of the opposite sex, date and see the world before entering seminary. Even then, not everyone who enters seminary will complete it. Those eight years are years of discernment therefore some might be called to use the few years of seminary in another area. God works in mysterious ways. Part of the journey is following and learning what God has called us to do and be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.