Regeneration by the Holy Spirit?

I was asked by a (Protestant) organization to sign a confession of faith that included the words “I believe regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for salvation and sanctification”
The thing is, I don’t know what that means. I’ve done some reading but still can’t seem to grasp it. Could anyone “dumb it down” for me? And does the Catholic church believe in it? If it isn’t what the Church teaches, I don’t want to sign the confession

1 Like

If you’re on your way to the Catholic Church, then you shouldn’t sign it. Simply put, any Protestant document, confession, proclamation is not your problem anymore.

1 Like

Yes. Catholics believe regeneration by the Holy Spirit is necessary for salvation and sanctification. Catholics believe that this necessary regeneration occurs when a person is baptized, either by water, as in the sacrament of baptism, by blood, as in martyrdom, or by desire. Some Protestants believe this regeneration occurs when a person prays the so-called Sinner’s Prayer. Some other Protestants believe this regeneration is necessarily accompanied by the speaking in tongues.

Baptism may be of water, desire, or blood. It is a spiritual renewal by the Holy Spirit present as sanctifying grace. Sanctifying grace belongs to the whole soul, mind, will, and affections. It makes those who possess it holy by giving a participation in the divine life (zoē). Sanctifying grace is given in the sacrament of penance also, and is increased by sacraments of Confirmation (Chrysmation), Eucharist, Anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders, and Matrimony (of one that is baptized).

Catechism of the Catholic Church

1213 Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua) ,4 and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."5

4 Cf. Council Of Florence: DS 1314: vitae spiritualis ianua .
5 Roman Catechism II,2,5; Cf. Council Of Florence: DS 1314; CIC, cann. 204 § 1; 849; CCEO, can. 675 § 1.

1215 This sacrament is also called " the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit ," for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one "can enter the kingdom of God."7

7 Titus 3:5; Jn 3:5.

Thank you! This helps a lot

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.