Regina Laudis

Does anybody know anything about Regina Laudis. I am discerning my vocation and I feel called to the Benedictine spirituality and I would love to be in a contemplative community.

Lovely place! They used to have one of the largest novitiates in the US.

Look locally first, though. Are there any Bens within a few minutes to two hour drive?

Blessings,
Cloisters

I just finished reading The Ear of the Heart, the biography of Mother Dolores Hart, former Hollywood and Broadway actress and now prioress of Regina Laudis. The monastery sounds most appealing; they have a daughter house, Our Lady of the Rock in Washington state:

olrmonastery.org/

You may be interested in checking out a recent documentary on Mother Dolores Hart entitled “God is the bigger Elvis” (it was actually nominated for an Academy Award/Oscar). It runs about 36 minutes and includes video of Regina Laudis, both contemporary and historical. It can be viewed on YouTube at this link:

youtube.com/watch?v=C8kvbkxm0Hg

Also, there was a thread in late 2011/early 2012 about Our Lady of the Rock on Shaw Island, WA, with reflections by an observer who became a postulant there before ultimately entering the Carmelites in Wolverhampton, England:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=628790&highlight=Shaw+Island

There are many wonderful communities of Benedictine sisters. Best wishes on your discernment journey.

[quote="Cloisters, post:2, topic:326802"]
Lovely place! They used to have one of the largest novitiates in the US.

Look locally first, though. Are there any Bens within a few minutes to two hour drive?

Blessings,
Cloisters

[/quote]

There is the the Benedictine Sisters of St. Walburg Monastery (located in Covington, KY). But that is basically one of the only convents close to me.
I have always wanted to be a veterinarian and Regina Laudis has a lot of animals so they must need a vet...
I have only seen pictures and articles on them, but I long to go see and meet the nuns in person!
+TJTM+

[quote="Lotodorato, post:4, topic:326802"]
You may be interested in checking out a recent documentary on Mother Dolores Hart entitled "God is the bigger Elvis" (it was actually nominated for an Academy Award/Oscar). It runs about 36 minutes and includes video of Regina Laudis, both contemporary and historical. It can be viewed on YouTube at this link:

youtube.com/watch?v=C8kvbkxm0Hg

My parish library recently ordered this video, so I'm looking forward to viewing it. Mother Dolores will be speaking at the annual Eucharistic Congress held in my diocese in September.

Also, there was a thread in late 2011/early 2012 about Our Lady of the Rock on Shaw Island, WA, with reflections by an observer who became a postulant there before ultimately entering the Carmelites in Wolverhampton, England:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=628790&highlight=Shaw+Island

There are many wonderful communities of Benedictine sisters. Best wishes on your discernment journey.

Thank you, but "cartermia" is the one discerning a vocation with the Benedictines. :) I long ago discerned a vocation with the Secular Discalced Carmelites. :)

[/quote]

There’s also The Dwelling Place somewhere in southern KY.

And you’re sure about the Benedictines?

Blessings,
Cloisters

I don't know, but I have a lot of time to figure it out. I am only 13...

[quote="cartermia, post:8, topic:326802"]
I don't know, but I have a lot of time to figure it out. I am only 13...

[/quote]

Bless your heart! We most certainly encourage you!

Blessings,
Cloisters

Thank you. I have thought about religious life for about a year and a half. Now I am basically doing my homework, playing ball (volleyball and basketball), being a teen, and praying. As I said before I have a "little" while to figure out my true vocation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.