Regular pot smokers have shrunken brains, study says

Experimental mice have been telling us this for years, but pot-smoking humans didn’t want to believe it could happen to them: Compared with a person who never smoked marijuana, someone who uses marijuana regularly has, on average, less gray matter in his orbital frontal cortex, a region that is a key node in the brain’s reward, motivation, decision-making and addictive behaviors network . . .

Researchers noted that the IQ of the marijuana-using group was significantly lower than that of the non-using group–not a finding of the study, but an incidental factor that might be indirectly linked to marijuana use.

latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-regular-marijuana-shrinks-brain-20141110-story.html

Your brain isn’t a toy.

So don’t put anything in your mouth or nose and try and play with it.

How do they get mice to smoke?

Surely pumping smoke in would be different to actually smoking it?

The concentrations would be different, but breathing is breathing. I’d imagine the concentration administered to the mice was fine-tuned to compensate for the difference.

ICXC NIKA.

There was a similar study that came out in the early 90s. I remember it well because it led to a nasty, long-running argument with two stoner friends. I argued that it proved my point that their pot smoking was having a definite, notable, negative impact on them. They argued that, you know, there’s nothing wrong with, yeah…let’s get some tacos.

What? Stoners are stupid? No way.

Would love to see some studies showing alcohol’s effect on the brain and the rest of the body. Just saying.

“More ambiguously, in regular pot smokers, that region is better connected than it is in non-users: the flow of signal traffic is speedier to other parts of that motivation and decision-making network, including across the superhighway of “white matter” that connects the brain’s hemispheres.”

LOL “ambiguously”? Really?

While that portion of the brain is smaller, the network of connections are more complex.

There’s several other studies… regular alcohol use causes cirrhosis of the liver… so that should be banned as well!

The American people throughout the nation democratically voted and banned alcohol back in 1920.

The Federal Government, state Governors (like New York City’s Mayor Fiorello La Guardia [he was a Republican lol]) and local officials, didn’t want to enforce the law and some like La Guardia openly mocked the law in public.

The same sort of people who are around today: Liberals, Democrats, Hollywood, Tin Pan Alley (i.e., the Music Industry) banded together to campaign against the law. Turncoat Republicans like Pauline Sabin joined them.

Alcohol, marijuana, dependency on nicotine, drugs . . . even in moderation, it’s all bad for your health and mind, sailor.

Benefits of Moderate Drinking Result from Alcohol Itself - Some writers have been arguing that wine drinkers tend to be healthier than others because they generally have better health habits, not because they consume alcohol.

It’s true that wine drinkers tend to have better health habits than many others do. However, that can’t explain away the established medical fact that the moderate consumption of beer, wine or distilled spirits improves health and longevity. Both beer and liquor tend to confer the same health benefits as red wine; the benefit is found in the alcohol rather than in a specific beverage.

1. NEVER drink without food to accompany it.
  2. NEVER drink over 1/2-1 glass of wine a day.

www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/Controversies/1088441583.html#.VHjo5WfTnIU

Cheers.

Good point.

Nicotine has been shown to help with depression.
Alcohol in moderation has been shown to have many health benefits.
Marijuana can be an effective pain killer.

You paint with too broad of a brush.

Any kind of smoking is damaging to the human breathing, and breath is life.

There may be some beneficial applications of cannabinoids, but God never intended the human body to “smoke weed.”

ICXC NIKA.

e-cigs are mostly safe. I wouldn’t recommend traditional cigarettes.

Just so we’re on the same page, are we talking about the morality of smoking cigs and marijuana, or the morality of having laws against such actions?

“Researchers noted that the IQ of the marijuana-using group was significantly lower than that of the non-using group–not a finding of the study, but an incidental factor that might be indirectly linked to marijuana use.”

Its not an ‘incidental’ factor, its the cause.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.