Reid expects Tea Party to fade away

Reid expects Tea Party to fade away

Can Harry Reid wait out the Tea Party?

The Senate majority leader seems to think so.

Reid sat down with more than 30 Review-Journal staffers Friday afternoon for an hour-long Q&A session at the newspaper’s offices. The bulk of the back and forth was dedicated to federal spending and how Congress might tame exploding budget deficits.

Reid blamed everything that ails Washington and the nation on Republicans. He slammed the GOP for its refusal to go along with tax increases as part of this month’s debt-ceiling deal, saying hard-core fiscal conservatives are making it impossible to strike a long-term deal that slows the growth of the national debt.

“(Senate Minority Leader) Mitch McConnell has done a good job bringing the country to a standstill,” Reid said.

The reason Republicans have drawn such a deep line in the sand on tax increases, of course, is the Tea Party movement. The populist uprising that was born from Washington’s bailouts achieved critical mass after Democrats decided to start spending like no government before. The stimulus. The ObamaCare overreach. Budget deficits that made President George W. Bush look like a piker.

Democrats were tossed from office in record numbers last November. That groundswell is shaping the 2012 campaign.

But Reid doesn’t expect it to last.
lvrj.com/opinion/reid-expects-tea-party-to-fade-away-127677778.html

Talk about a HUGE miscalculation.I believe that is called "whistling past the graveyard."Politics as usual just ain’t on,Harry.

I think they will if they succumb to the Republican establishment much like the Howard Dean anti-war movement was taken into the Democratic party and died. Something I’ve noticed is that there are candidates who are not Tea Partyers trying to claim that they are part of the Tea Party and should get their vote. If the Tea Party gives into those candidates they will not survive.

I hope for the sake of this nation they survive and prosper.

I certainly hope they remain marginally popular, thus dividing the conservative vote, and ensuring Liberal victories. :thumbsup:

I wouldn’t mind that either, but it’s not going to happen. On the contrary, I’m afraid the Tea Party is going to consume the traditional GOP conservatives, the same way the conservatives consumed the moderate Republicans.

I’m sure it will eventually, but Reid would be foolish to count on it doing so by the next election.

[quote=Chrysotom]Talk about a HUGE miscalculation.I believe that is called "whistling past the graveyard."Politics as usual just ain’t on,Harry.
[/quote]

On the contrary, it is politics as usual, just now the pendulum is swinging in the other direction. After the GOP regains dominance, it will start to swing back. They;ll have their 4 or 6 years, then the tables turn again. Just maybe not soon enough for it to make any difference for Reid if he can’t ride out the storm.

Let me see…Reid wants the goals of the tea party to go away? A balanced federal budget, individual responsibility, a moral government, lower taxes, more jobs and a federal government limited by the constitution with the states doing their job of handling the social issues.
If these beliefs go away, as Reid wants them to, the country as we know and love it is gone too. And that is Reid’s and Obama’s goal in disparagng the tea party.

Meaning you support abortion, homosexual ‘marriage,’ and re-distribution of wealth?

The Tea Party will fade away as soon as the trillion dollar deficits fade away.

And if wishes were fishes, Reid would be Captain Highlander.

Yes. As soon as the deficit begins to reduce instead of increase, the Tea Party won’t get much attention. But that is a long way from happening. Getting on a long term path to stability will require the nation to spend within its means, which will in turn mean overhauling social security and medicare. That may take awhile.

You equate disparaging the tea party with wanting to destroy America? That’s just ludicrous.

[quote=Darryl1958]Yes. As soon as the deficit begins to reduce instead of increase, the Tea Party won’t get much attention. But that is a long way from happening. Getting on a long term path to stability will require the nation to spend within its means, which will in turn mean overhauling social security and medicare. That may take awhile.
[/quote]

Actually, it will most likely fade away by the end of the first term of the next Republican president, when said president replaces Obama as the hated incumbant and the grass once again looks greener on the other side.

Holes that big don’t just disappear. What is needed is confidence on behalf of American business leaders in order to start investing in the economy and creating jobs once more.
That confidence will be based on Washington making the right sounds, and getting spending under control.

Obama has no ability to make those kind of sounds.

Whether they disappear doesn’t matter so much as whether they disappear in the minds of the people.

That ain’t gonna happen.You can’t fool All of the people ALL of the time.

Trillions of dollars are invested every year by organizations and interests of every political persuasion to do just that. They are often quite successful.

In Canada the Reform Party ate the Progressive conservative party and got rid of pretendo Red Tories like Clark et al.I can see the same thing happening to the RINOs-give it time.Let the Democrats have their head and they will just keep digging that hole.

It can’t be entrenched Party Politics as usual .There is a paradigm shift happening as more and more Americans will come to despise professional politicians and go the populist conservative route.They can hardly do a worse job than those clowns running the show now.It happened here-it will happen there.

To date.And often.Not always.

If there is no such thing as a real world that does not exist outside the mind, then I guess it doesn’t matter.

This just in!

The Tea Party expects Reid to fade away… :smiley:

:D:p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.