Reid: Romney 'not the face of Mormonism'

Should this be good news for those who oppose Gov. Romney due to his faith?

“He’s coming to a state where there are a lot of members of the LDS Church,” Reid also said ahead of Romney’s arrival Friday. “They understand that he is not the face of Mormonism.”

The Romney campaign declined Tuesday to comment.

Reid’s comments Friday repeat those of Gregory A. Prince, who wrote in a recent Huffington Post opinion piece: “Judge Mitt Romney as you will, and vote for or against him as you will; but do not judge Mormonism on the basis of the Mitt Romney that was unveiled to the public … . He is not the face of Mormonism.”

Prince withdrew his support for Romney after a tape surfaced of the Republican presidential nominee saying 47 percent of Americans don’t pay taxes and are dependent on government handouts.

Reid said he agreed with Prince, co-author of “David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism," and said that Prince’s argument is that Romney has “sullied the religion” that the three of them share.

Read more: foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/25/reid-romney-not-face-mormonism/#ixzz27Uxn6Tmm

The article is not specific as to exactly what Romney has done to sully Mormonism.

It might be obvious to Mormons if not to Catholics. :shrug:

Like what, he doesn’t support polygamy? He gives more to the charity than other Mormons?

Harry Reid has made several specious attacks on Romney. Under the rules of philosophy and logic, the onus of proof is on the one who makes the claim.

So far good old Harry hasn’t been able to accomplish that.

Just wait until the poll boost comes from Evangelicals…you’ll see good-ol-boy Harry Reid come on saying “Romney is Joseph Smith re-incarnated!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Except for a very small minority, I dont think most Americans, regardless of their personal faith, really care that Romney is LDS.

Yeah, I’m kind of in this boat. I dislike that he’s Mormon, but better someone who at least professes to love Christ than an anti-Christ.

If we knew half of much about Harry Reid and his fortune as we do Mitt Romney . . . . .

From what I hear, it is the Baptists who, at least on the conservative side of the political spectrum, are not supporting Romney as vociferously as some may wish. A report I heard earlier (and I’ve tried to find it to post) was that only 49% were supporting his campaign. There is a huge backlash against Romney’s Mormonism in some circles.

Good ol’ Harry Reid does not get is that anybody he tries to defame may just get some more supperters. As far I’m conserned, wither or not Mitt Romney is or is not the ‘face of Mormomism’ is biside the point, the point is that can we survive another four years of Obama? :eek: :shrug: :thumbsup:

22% of Americans are hesitant to vote for a Mormon for President. According to Gallup.

gallup.com/poll/148100/hesitant-support-mormon-2012.aspx

The only 2 things which would make people more hesistant to vote for someone for President (in this poll) is:
-being gay/ lesbian= 32%
-being an atheist=49%

Interestingly they didn’t ask about a Muslim President. I imagine that would be fairly high, given all the rhetoric that Obama is secretly a Muslim.

Anyways, I’m not voting for Romney mainly because he persecuted the Catholic Church in Massachusetts. I’m voting for Virgil Goode instead. And, I’ve said before that if Romney becomes President (admittedly an outcome I would like better than Obama being re-elected)… then I will pray every day that he becomes a Christian. .

I couldn’t care less if Romney is Mormon.

My understanding is that Mormons generally vote GOP and with Romney (Mormon) as the candidate, I am betting that Mitt will have nearly universal support among the Mormons.

MODERATOR NOTE

Please do not attack any candidate because of their faith. If you wish to debate if a Catholic may vote for a candidate of a certain religion, you may do so in the Apologetics forum as long as you do not mention any names.

Where are your tax returns Harry?

How did you make your fortune Harry?

How’s the budget coming along Harry?

Harry should be spending more time worrying about his job than someone’s religion.

Well lets keep in mind who this is coming from, Harry Reid.

Recall Harry Reid made the claim that Romney didn’t pay any taxes in the past 10 years. :rolleyes:

Jim

That is true. The Mormon Corridor (Idaho, UT, AZ) is very strong GOP.
The culture and family values of Mormons are more in line with the GOP, then the Dems.

As a former Mormon, can you tell me what is unMormon about Romney?

Harry will not answer because it would make him look like a ‘good guy’. :eek::thumbsup::cool:

I have no idea of what Reid was talking about when he made that comment.
I have never heard of anything remotely suggesting to me that Romney is anything other than a devout Mormon who holds his temple recommend worthily.

I would say Romney is a TBM (true blue Mormon)

The only “possible” thing I can think of, and just guessing here, is that he is known, or has been known, as a flip-flopper on issues in the past. Esp abortion etc. (going back to his years in Mass)

Being pro-choice is not common in Mormonism.

It just occurred to me that Harry Reid might be banned from this forum for questioning a person’s religion! :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.