Reiki?

Is the practice of Reiki an allowed activity for a Catholic person?

I just saw there are Reiki classes on the Cincinnati Archdioceses web site. It is being held by one of the Sisters of Charity here in Cincinnati.

Class Posting:
catholiccincinnati.org/cgi-bin/cal_make.pl?p1=PAR

Reiki People in Sisters of Charity:
srcharitycinti.org/spirit.htm

Can someone tell me if this is allowed in the Catholic Church?

If this is NOT allowed what should I do?

Thanks,
James

This doesn’t sound like something that should be encouraged in a Catholic setting but I’m not an expert in such matters. It might be a good idea to write or call your diocese leader and express your concern. I must admit that I’ve heard of some odd things happening. One time I saw in a Church bulletin that there was to be a women’s Bible study. I thought I’d go and try to learn something. I went in with my Bible and was told that I had the wrong idea about what was going on. Instead of studying the Bible, the nun who was in charge played tapes of wind and water and so on. Her Bible study was simply teaching that God is everywhere. Not a Bible was in sight except mine, of course. I never went back.

Yeah. That sounds strange too. I wonder if this is common in the different nun communities (new age beliefs). I wonder if there is a nun on these forums that could enlighten us on this?

I’m just concerned that people will think it is ok being that these classes are on the Archdiocese website.

Crazy!!!

-James

I hate to say this but I can’t help but wonder if the changes may have something to do with the way the nun’s live these days. Back when I was a young’un the nuns dressed as nuns and seemed to be a bit above the rest of us mortals. Today you often can’t tell who is a nun and who isn’t. They often don’t even live together but seem to go off and pursue their own interests. Guess I just miss the days when nuns were seen as leading holy lives, not living the same as the rest of us. It looks like today’s nuns aren’t as tied down as they used to be. In some ways that’s good and in other ways I don’t think so. Am I way off base? Or just showing my age?

I don’t think so. I think there should be someone telling these nuns that they shouldn’t be getting involved in new age beliefs. I don’t know why any nun would do this, knowing how rich the Catholic church is why go outside(reiki) for “spiritual enrichment.” There should be an authority figure keeping them in line with the Church. Maybe in our culture this authority is not respected the way it use to be.

-James

These sisters are masters in Reki and spiritual healing, very confusing mix. Are they actually nuns??

There was a thread about this a few months ago…some very good replies throughout. I believe if the person who is considered the ‘Reiki master,’ is Catholic, and is drawing upon the Holy Spirit (and not our own energies or 'chakras) for the energy source, then the practice would be considered fine for a Catholic. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but if you do a thread search, and plug in Reiki, you might find some good information. I think I asked a question about it when I first came to CAF. Good luck.:slight_smile:

It’s so sad to see these brides of Christ abandoning their patrimony for something so cheap :frowning: .

I agree.

Johnette Benkovic has done several shows about Rekkei and how the practice of it is in complete opposition to the Catholic Church and its teachings. She had a former Rekkei master on who described the process of her training and it was chilling.

Unfortunately, I have also seen these types of courses offered in my parish. In fact, the most recent was at my Aunt’s convent (she’s a nun). I wanted to tell her about it but she’s quite elderly and I’m afraid of upsetting her.

More disappointing information:

catholic-mom.blogspot.com/2007/06/new-age-conference-sponsored-by-old-age.html

Does anyone know how to challenge this type of stuff?

Thanks!

Here’s some info from www.reiki.org:

"Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by “laying on hands” and is based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one’s “life force energy” is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.

The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means “God’s Wisdom or the Higher Power” and Ki which is “life force energy”. So Reiki is actually “spiritually guided life force energy.”

While Reiki is spiritual in nature, it is not a religion. It has no dogma, and there is nothing you must believe in order to learn and use Reiki. In fact, Reiki is not dependent on belief at all and will work whether you believe in it or not. Because Reiki comes from God, many people find that using Reiki puts them more in touch with the experience of their religion rather than having only an intellectual concept of it."

Reiki sounds like just another way to feel more connected with God. What’s so awful about that?

Do not fall for the new age lie of reiki. Contact your bishop and file a complaint. New age practices are an example of the smoke of Satan which has entered the Church. Many nuns have been deceived by the new age lie.

Here is a good article.

cesnur.org/2003/vat_na_en.htm

What if someone doesn’t believe Reiki is a New Age idea? This could be a argument, that it has been around for hundreds, maybe thousands of years.

Thanks!

It is really sad that many Catholics are misled by new age activities sponsored by the religious.

Under “Spirituality” forum, there is a thread :“New Age: Letter to my Bishop ns Mount Carmel Spiritual Centre…” That thread is talking about similar concerns.

We should only look up to our God and not deal with any other supernatural practice or anything claims about energy, chi, reiki, yoga, etc, etc…They all have dark power behind them.

Amen!
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_29.gif

Hi

there is an excellent website which has links to the vatican offical web site, to do with reiki etc. If the link doesn’t work, then type in “Reiki and the catholic faith” in google search and then click on the first web page which is CUF.org, this makes it quite clear what the problems are of these things. here is the link if it works:
cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffID=200

God Bless you and you will be in my prayers.
Eileen

cuf.org/faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffID=200

It’s not compatible at least to this, though i have another post, that describes what i feel( and still not recommended), search zmyr88

dissertation.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581123442

Are you trying to sell this book? I noticed you posted this link on all postings that mentioned Reiki.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.