Reincarnated Jesus

My friend has all these weird and messy beliefs. He used to be an agnostic, then a Buddhist, then a Christian, and now he’s really getting into cult-like messiahs, Vissarion the “Russian Jesus” to be more particular. He believes that Jesus could possibly be reincarnated, and challenged me to find in the bible where is says that Jesus will not be reincarnated. He’s really bothering me, and if you don’t mind providing me with scripture or certain Christian doctrines to refute his belief in a possible reincarnation of Jesus, it would be much appreciated.

I’m on the fly here and just dropping in to throw out some ideas to be further researched.

Basically, Christ rose in a new, glorified body, and he said when he comes again, we’ll know! So I don’t see how he has come again if we don’t know. Anyone who is familiar with these passages can look them up to further help you.

This is exactly how it will happen (from Matthew 24)

If therefore they shall say to you: Behold he is in the desert, go ye not out: Behold he is in the closets, believe it not. [27] For as lightning cometh out of the east, and appeareth even into the west: so shall the coming of the Son of man be. [28] Wheresoever the body shall be, there shall the eagles also be gathered together. [29] And immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun shall be darkened and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven shall be moved: [30] And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all tribes of the earth mourn and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with much power and majesty.

Yes he will be just as he was perfection in his majesty- not reincarnated - for what needs to ever be renewed that is already perfected?

Burden of proof is on him, not you.

Found another one from Hebrews 13;

“Remember your prelates who have spoken the word of God to you; whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation, [8] Jesus Christ, yesterday, and today; and the same for ever. [9] Be not led away with various and strange doctrines.”

There is an unlimited amount of things that the Bible didn’t say. Just as there is an unlimited amount that any book didn’t say. That is certainly not a valid argument. It’s what the Bible does say that we know is true.

Not forgetting, of course, tradition - one of the two sources of authority in the Church.

This is where Catholic and Protestant doctrines part company as Protestants hold sola scriptura - scripture alone - as sole authority. The thing is, an awful lot of the content of the Gospels (particularly John) was passed orally long before being written down, just by way of example.

Oral tradition therefore is held in the same esteem as scripture; most of the teachings about Mary come from tradition. Just because it isn’t in the Bible it doesn’t necessarily follow that it’s false. If a doctrine (such as reincarnation) actually disagrees with scripture though, then I’d take scripture as the truth.

The bible does say that Jesus will come again, but it says that he will return the same as he left, in other words, he will return as an adult. So he will not be reincarnated. No one will be. The bible says that for everyone there is one death, one judgement. There are the exceptions for those who were resurrected, but no reincarnation.

The tradition you speak of was taught because all the writings weren’t finished. Can you show me where John taught something other than what we know in the scripture? Did they actually teach via tradition something other than what they wrote? Doesn’t make sense that they wouldn’t write down what they had taught. Please show me where the traditions that were taught are different than what the wrote. Thanks!

Though the topic is worth discussing, regards to tradition and scripture, it’s not worth discussing here, as Yosep has created this topic for a specific reason-- to learn about why we don’t believe Jesus is reincarnated.

There is no such thing as reincarnation for anyone.

The Church teaching:

CCC 1013 Death is the end of man’s earthly pilgrimage, of the time of grace and mercy which God offers him so as to work out his earthly life in keeping with the divine plan, and to decide his ultimate destiny. When “the single course of our earthly life” is completed, we shall not return to other earthly lives: “It is appointed for men to die once.” There is no “reincarnation” after death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.