REJECTING...good or keep a little?

My question here is:

Since I posted before earlier that the CC IS THE TRUE Church, I have been rejecting Protestantism. Now, I know that Protestantism teaches similar things like Catholicism does and all that but since it doesn’t teach ALL the CC teaches, why not reject it?

Now my other question to that is, if a Protestant came up to me and told me something about God, etc. that made sense, should I accept it or reject it? See, if I accept it, it would be like I’m accepting Protestantism. If I reject it, I’ll be accepting Catholicism. What I’m really try to ask is, is it okay to accept SOME Protestant stuff or should I stick to the “Way, Truth and Life” faith from the CC? Is it possibe to accept all of Catholicism and some of Protestantism?

See what I’m trying to say?

[quote=Paris Blues]My question here is:

Since I posted before earlier that the CC IS THE TRUE Church, I have been rejecting Protestantism. Now, I know that Protestantism teaches similar things like Catholicism does and all that but since it doesn’t teach ALL the CC teaches, why not reject it?

Now my other question to that is, if a Protestant came up to me and told me something about God, etc. that made sense, should I accept it or reject it? See, if I accept it, it would be like I’m accepting Protestantism. If I reject it, I’ll be accepting Catholicism. What I’m really try to ask is, is it okay to accept SOME Protestant stuff or should I stick to the “Way, Truth and Life” faith from the CC? Is it possibe to accept all of Catholicism and some of Protestantism?

[/quote]

Protestantism is a heresy.
catholic.com/library/Great_Heresies.asp
The Catholic Church has the authority in faith and truth.
Whatever the Protestant teaches once derived from Catholicism, you could say it was never Protestantism. Anything not in accordance with Catholicism should be kept away for it is considered heresy.:smiley:

[quote=Lovez4God]Protestantism is a heresy.
catholic.com/library/Great_Heresies.asp
The Catholic Church has the authority in faith and truth.
Whatever the Protestant teaches once derived from Catholicism, you could say it was never Protestantism. Anything not in accordance with Catholicism should be kept away for it is considered heresy.:smiley:
[/quote]

:eek: YIKES!!! See, before I started pursuing Catholicism, I never even thought Protestantism was a heresy! Is it really? If that’s the case, YIKES AGAIN!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Okay, before I even knew about Catholicism, and was going to a Protestant church, I always thought it was the truth but that’s because it came from Catholicism if it did, right? So whatever a Protestant says about something and I find out it is taught in Catholicism, then that means what the Protestant said, it is Catholic after all?

Would it be wrong for me or anyone to lovely say (LOL!!!) to Protestants that it’s a heresy?

Paris Blues. Don’t be misled. It is not what a Protestant says that is important. It is by what authority the Protestant says it. This is a simple guideline. As a Catholic you are among a community of believers who respect the authority of the Magisterium in the matter of teaching. The deposit of the faith was to the Church, not to Scripture and certainly not to individual, private, autonomous human beings as rocks or islands unto themselves.

Using words like heresy with persons of other faith communities isn’t always the best idea since that word is so loaded with background meanings for people–meanings you don’t mean to express but which they will read into your comments.

It is better to say that Protestantism diverged from the Church on key issues of faith but wherever it agrees with the Church it tells the truth.

You see, most Protestants are what is called material heretics not formal heretics. That means that they know no better–usually because they were brought up in Protestantism and so do not know or understand the teachings of the Church which their particular denomination/group/sect rejected.

Formal heretics are those who left the Church after rejecting the Church’s teaching with full knowledge and full consent of their wills.

So, to label all Protestants as heretics is to ignore the fact that most of them have lived all their lives in ignorance and so are not accountable for their heresy.

[quote=Paris Blues]Would it be wrong for me or anyone to lovely say (LOL!!!) to Protestants that it’s a heresy?
[/quote]

It is best to help people find their own questions and hunt down their own answers with the help of the Holy Spirit. Only if a particularly raucous heterodox is influencing the vulnerable is correction (sometimes) necessary – for instance on these forums. Many vulnerable seekers lurk these forums. Therefore raucous error must be corrected swiftly and effectively here. Otherwise, leading a holy life is often enough. People notice.

[quote=Ani Ibi]Paris Blues. . As a Catholic you are among a community of believers who respect the authority of the Magisterium in the matter of teaching. The deposit of the faith was to the Church, not to Scripture and certainly not to individual, private, autonomous human beings as rocks or islands unto themselves.
[/quote]

I’m not confirmed yet, what I am then?

You’re a catechumen.

“Catechumen,” in the early Church, was the name applied to one who had not yet been initiated into the sacred mysteries, but was undergoing a course of preparation for that purpose. The word occurs in Gal. vi, 6: “Let him that is instructed in the word, [ho katechoumenos, is qui catechizatur] communicate to him that instructeth him [to katechounti, ei qui catechizat] in all good things.” Other parts of the verb katicksein occur in I Cor., xiv, 19; Luke, i, 4; Acts, xviii, 24.

[quote=Tantum ergo]You’re a catechumen.
[/quote]

No Im a candidate!

[quote=Paris Blues]Now my other question to that is, if a Protestant came up to me and told me something about God, etc. that made sense, should I accept it or reject it? See, if I accept it, it would be like I’m accepting Protestantism. If I reject it, I’ll be accepting Catholicism.
[/quote]

So if a protestant tells you that Jesus is the Son of God, you feel the need to reject that in order to be faithful to the Catholic Church?

[quote=Timidity]So if a protestant tells you that Jesus is the Son of God, you feel the need to reject that in order to be faithful to the Catholic Church?
[/quote]

I was actually talking about other issues…not the obvious ones!

[quote=Paris Blues]I was actually talking about other issues…not the obvious ones!
[/quote]

The point is the same. You should accept truth and reject falsehood. Many protestants speak many truths and many Catholics speak many lies.

[quote=Paris Blues]No Im a candidate!
[/quote]

Then why did you ask?

[/quote]

When one speaks of rejecting Protestantism, one is speaking of rejecting the errors of Protestantism. What ever Protestantism holds that is true was received by them from the Catholic Church and therefore is not to be rejected. Keep in mind that there is no creed or doctrine of “Protestantism.” Rather there is Calvinism or Lutheranism etc. Protestantism is a generic umbrella term used to lump all those who dissented and broke from the Church in the 16th century.

[quote=Paris Blues]:eek: YIKES!!! See, before I started pursuing Catholicism, I never even thought Protestantism was a heresy! Is it really? If that’s the case, YIKES AGAIN!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Okay, before I even knew about Catholicism, and was going to a Protestant church, I always thought it was the truth but that’s because it came from Catholicism if it did, right? So whatever a Protestant says about something and I find out it is taught in Catholicism, then that means what the Protestant said, it is Catholic after all?

Would it be wrong for me or anyone to lovely say (LOL!!!) to Protestants that it’s a heresy?
[/quote]

It’s not Catholic truth if it is spoken by a Protestant.
God bless:cool:

[/quote]

WHY NOT FOLLOW THE 2ND COMMANDMENT!

[/quote]

As long as it does not contradict what is taught in the Catholic Church, If it causes you to contradict Catholicism, then reject it.

But I don’t see why you would want to accept something that is not taught by the Church. If it turns out to be false, it is only holding you back on your way to perfect union with God.

The authority is within the Catholic Church to teach the truth. So there is no authority behind the statements of the protestant beliefs, so I think you have to be very carefull with what you take, which is not taught by the Church.

well, at this point in your journey, i would advise not listening to protestants until you are grown in your understanding of the faith. many of them will try to discourage you from becoming catholic.

but once your faith is strong, and you’ve learned what the church teaches and why, then it’s good to learn from other sources. there are good things to be learned from many places - the protestant church (cs lewis, frederick buechner, chuck swindoll, max lucado), even buddhism, islam, or hinduism.

don’t be afraid of the source when you get information. just learn to discern what is true and what is false, based on comparing it to the Bible and church teachings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.