Rejection of sacrament

Two teens in a confirmation class. Brother and sister. Claim they do not want to be there and that they are forced to be there by parents. Poor, cold attitude is pervasive in class. They often snicker at presented material. The boy has talked to other classmates trying to create a cold atmosphere by getting others to join his silent boycott of the class.

They arrived late to class yesterday. I talked to them before permitting them to enter the room. I asked if they wanted to be confirmed? Were their parents aware of their desires? Was the priest aware? Answers? Yes, yes and yes. They did not want to be confirmed. Their parents knew it and priests knew it too.

I expressed the invitation to come in and listen with an open heart or even attend the RCIA class. They wanted neither and left.

Did i do the right thing or shoukd i have let them come in and derail the class in the hopes of reaching them?

Wow, you must have been typing as I was. :eek:
Im looking for the same answers…

It is very hard to teach a class when a few kids are so against the religion.

I just reread my post - I made a mistake -

When I asked if they wanted to be confirmed - they said NO. If their parents knew? YES
and if Priest knew? YES.

I think you need to sit down with the DRE and/or your pastor to determine the best course of action. It is difficult when you have students that derail the class. But then it is also an opportunity to evangelize those students who are difficult. You need to pray and talk it out with the DRE and pastor to see how best to move forward.

Joe,
I agree. I think that they could be evangelized but not at the expense of the others in the classroom. I’ll keep trying to lead these two horses to the water…the rest is up to them.

Yes, you did the right thing. The PARENTS are the primary educators of their children. If and when they choose to supplement their role through classes at the parish, it cannot be at the expense of other parents and their children who are there to grow in faith.

This is all on the parents. Let them teach the children at home until such time as they can properly behave in a group setting, which may be never.

Teens can be tough. Especially the younger ones. I work with 6-12 graders at the local public schools and the 6-9 graders are the hardest. They usually have a big maturity leap in 10th grade. I think it’s important to remember they are teenagers and still need to be molded into healthy adults and Catholics. Some much more than others. I would recommend finding the teens who want to be there and start having them help you evangelize the others. The youth director at my parish has some of the teens become the leaders and run the youth group on Fridays. It’s important for them to have peer guidance. If the problem continues then allowing those two teens to leave is not wrong. At the end of the Confirmation program at my parish we ask the students if they are ready and willing to receive Confirmation. Our hope is that they all will be ready by the end.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.