Rejoining the Catholic Church

I was baptized and raised in the Catholic Church. In my late teens, I started to look at other churches and faiths. Seventeen years ago, I decided to join the LDS church. I have since realized that this was not a wise decision and I am looking at coming back to the Catholic Church. My question is does the Church still recognize my baptism, or was it vacated when I was baptized into the LDS church? I hope someone can shed some light and point me in the right direction.

You are baptized Catholic. That never changes. Nothing can ever take that away.

It is a good idea to have your name removed from the LDS church records. You have to send your Bishop a written, signed request to have your name removed from church records. mrm.org/leaving-mormonism explains the process.

From the Catholic Church’s perspective, all you really have to do is make a confession and start attending Mass. It is best to talk to a priest or deacon first but that’s about all there is to it.

-Tim-

Once you’re baptized, it’s permanent. You can’t lose it.

If you would like to return to the Church, the door is open to you.

Depending on your own needs, you could start attending Mass whenever you’re ready. You can go to confession – or in this case, Reconciliation is probably a better term since it means reconciling with God and the Church – then you can return to communion.

If you would like more support on your journey, many parishes have programs for returning Catholics. There can be a benefit to being able to talk with others who are also returning. Or you may find it helpful to meet with a priest in the parish to discuss any questions or issues you may have.

Welcome home!

Your Catholic baptism remains in effect. It’s irrevocable. One time your whole life.

The sacrament of Reconciliation (confession) will suffice to rehabilitate your standing with the Catholic Church.

That’s all. Nothing more.

No walk of shame, no crawling on your knees before the parish, no altar call, no public ‘mea culpa’.

In the privacy of the confessional, one on one, with an ordained priest, acting in persona christi.

And you will be welcomed with open arms, and love.

No questions asked.

God bless…

Welcome home!

Your Catholic baptism is valid and you can only be baptised once.
It is the LDS baptism which is not valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.