Relationship questions...

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a few years and we really do love each other and we are united through god. But I have a few questions if you could help me out…

Is it normal to have crushes on other people while you’re dating/married? We both recently confessed to each other that we have had crushes on other people, but they only last a week or so. This infatuation with other people makes us feel really guilty and question our relationship and I was wondering if this is normal or what it means. Could this be satan trying to tempt you or what? It’s really confusing…

And she says she has a calling to the religious life (being a nun) but feels just as strongly about getting married to me. This is really hard for us and a constant struggle. I really love her, and the closer I get to god, the more I love her. Why would I feel like this if she is meant to be a nun? I understand that we all bear crosses but, again, this is just really confusing.

If someone could help me with this I would be really grateful. Some guidance or insight or something.
thanks

This reminds me of a saying I once came across. “God gives love, something to love He lends.” I have no doubt that you love her. But do you love her enough to let her go? I think you two need to take a bit of a break and, with some help, go through a time of discernment. Also, talk with your priest. In fact, talk to him about the discernment process. Every vocation, even the lay people (single or married) are called to that vocation. If your girlfriend is truly called to be a nun, then both of you need to let go and follow God’s will for your lives.

Sometimes what may feel like crushes are just admirations, you know? Example, I see a good looking man I admire doesn’t mean I want him or want to be with him…Same goes when I see a great looking woman, I say “wow she’s really gorgeous!” And I admire her…Doesn’t mean I think she’s sexy and want to go all bi or anything, lol…

Another thing, if she’s so doubting on becoming a nun or marriage you should both go together for dating counseling, even our Priest gives those to teens whom might be thinking of marriage in the future! It’s great! And he might be able to guide you through God’s grace.

Take care good luck and GOD bless…

You don’t say how old you are…but if you’re real young, crushes are normal feelings and they do pass, just don’t act on them , while your in a relationship…I think the best advice was given, if she has a calling, let her go, if she is called, shell know eventually, and if she’s called to marriage, you’ll be back together…

It’s normal to have little crushes on people -but don’t act on those feelings, and don’t mistake them for anything more than what they are-just little crushes that quickly fade.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.