Relativism?

[quote=Aureole]My pleasure. Dr. Kreeft has some really great arguments against relativism and his other lectures are fantastic!
[/quote]

Yes, this link is a gold mine for me. I listened to his Happiness lecture yesterday in the car, and then again last night because I wanted my wife to hear it. It’s the kind of thing you can listen to twice…there are so many great ideas in his talks!

Pete

0 Likes

[quote=Ianjo99]While I know that relativism does not coincide with any sort of belief in an omniscient and omnibenevolent God, I was wondering how do you guys address the problem when confronted by relativist arguments. Are there any arguments you found particularly damning to relativism, or does the discussion end up in a draw most of the time?

Any website or book reccomendations would be welcome.
[/quote]

What are the relativist arguments?

0 Likes

[quote=AquinasXVI]There’s a fun exercise to exorcise relativism.

If someone says that there is more than one truth and that his truth is different from your truth but that’s okay. Simply ask if that statement is ABSOLUTELY true. A yes would negate the statement. A no would make no sense at all.

in XT.
[/quote]

Keep in mind, however, that you can only refute absolute relativism in this way. (Absolute relativism being the sort that says there are no absolutes, period.)

Moral relativism, on the other hand, is not self-destructive. It is merely inconsistent. As lanjo pointed out in his conversation about affirmative action, moral relativists generally hold moral standards or ideals.

0 Likes

AquinasXVI - I agree with you totally as regards to Phenomenology. I am also of the opinion that it has value, particularly used as a therapeutic tool by psychologists/counselors who may have issues about focuus on other people rather than listen to what is going on with them - but that’s another topic entirely.

I’m a flegling when it comes to debating philosophy so would you be able to give an opinion to my expereiment as to its worthiness for refuting relativism?

Luke

0 Likes

Hey Luke:

Glad that we’re on the same wavelength all the way from Australia. The fellow on the Journey Home last week was Australian. He was very good and sincere in his search and eventually converted.

As for phenomenology, I’m no expert by any stretch. But I am all for the fact that JP II gave this aspect of philosophy a baptism. It’s up to us to keep it clean. The cool thing about this is that what Chesterton said about the church looking at all directions all of the time and it will have the proper remedy for the ailments of the past, present and future, JP II and the Theology of the Body seems about what we exactly need in this time of moral relativism and secular sexual license.

in XT.

0 Likes

:smiley: AquinasXVI - thanks. I need to read JP2’s book.

BTW - We in Australia arn’t that far away - 14hrs from West Coast USA and 24 hrs from Europe. Have done the trip often. Your phenomenolical frame of reference as to how far Australia is may be unreconciled with the truth that its not far at all - but then I guess its relative :slight_smile:

Tahnks again,
Luke

0 Likes

Luke:

Hahahahaa!!! Considering the title of our thread, that’s a good comeback bro. ABSOLUTELY funny.

Try Naked Without Shame by Christopher West on cd or cassette. It’s an easing into the Theology of the Body. The book is 500 pages or so long.

To the rest who keep seeing me post TOB. I’m committed to letting as many people know about it. Apologies for redundancy.

Talk to you again somewhere here.

in XT.

0 Likes

closed #28
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.