Relic

Hi All!,

I will be receiving a few relics in the mail sometime in the next few weeks. I will have a few third class ones and a few second class ones. Do I need to/should I put the second class ones in a reliquary? Also may I genuflect towards them be it either on my left or right knee?

In Christ,

Zooman77

No, it is not necessary to put the second class relics in a reliquary but you can put them if you want. If the relics are in a card, then put them in a nice frame or keep them in a safe place. If your relics are in a theca, it is recommended to place them in a reliquary but that is not necessary.

In genuflection, I don’t know.

God bless you!

Although it is customary to genuflect by using the right leg to lower yourself onto your left knee, I am sure G*d doesn’t care which knee you use as long as you do it and do it reverently!

One does not genuflect to relics with the exception of the True Cross when it is shown publicly ie in a church for example.

When you say you will be receiving relics in the mail are you buying them?
I’m curious because the Church forbids the sale/purchase of relics.

Just for information sake here, genuflecting is by definition on the right knee and is to be directed at God only. Kneeling on the left knee isn’t genuflection and is an act of showing honour (before kissing a Bishops ring, to kings etc).

[quote=bemily]One does not genuflect to relics with the exception of the True Cross when it is shown publicly ie in a church for example.
[/quote]

That’s what I thought although I couldn’t remember.

[quote=thistle]When you say you will be receiving relics in the mail are you buying them?
I’m curious because the Church forbids the sale/purchase of relics.
[/quote]

No I didn’t buy them, I contacted monasteries and religious orders and am getting them for free, although I did send them donations.

[quote=POJIUJH]Just for information sake here, genuflecting is by definition on the right knee and is to be directed at God only. Kneeling on the left knee isn’t genuflection and is an act of showing honour (before kissing a Bishops ring, to kings etc).
[/quote]

Yeah I understand that but for the purpose of understanding I just called it genuflection.

As long as the donations are voluntary. Some religious orders require a donation which of course makes it a sale.

[quote=thistle]As long as the donations are voluntary. Some religious orders require a donation which of course makes it a sale
[/quote]

Yes they were completely voluntary, in fact only one actually mentioned a donation. The others said absolutely nothing and just gladly agreed to give a relic, all they asked for were prayers. The one that did mention a donation only said they gladly accept donations. I understand your cause for concern as there are so many people who get suckered into buying relics on eBay or as you mentioned the religious orders who say the relics are free however you must donate X amount of dollars to receive it.

Ah I see. Fair enough!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.