Relics of a saint for SALE?!?

I am pretty sure relics of a saint CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be sold!!!:eek: :mad:

I was curious to see if people were selling them and decided to check eBay…
sure enough, they are selling relics! As in first class relics as well! D:

Among them: St. Rita of Cascia, St Francis and Claire of Asisi, St. Bonaventure, St. Jerome doctor of the Church, St. Peregrine, St. Bernadette of Lourdes and others… D:

:nope: :bigyikes: :dts:

Is this not a sin?

I remember while watching Pawn Stars as well someone tried to sell relics of a saint, (I forgot which one, a female saint) and they got the certificate in latin translated and it said they should not be sold.

hmmmmm…

Yup… Selling one is a sin, but giving it free of charge is not… Some do not charge for the relics, but they charge for the relique(the case of the relics). I think it is ok to charge for that… Donation is okay to as long as they don’t put higher prices from the original price to gain their own profit…

If I am not mistaken, one of my friend bought a rosary from a Carmelite Monastery… After she paid for the rosary, the nun actually gave her some rose petals from St. Therese of Lisieux’s convent and her tiny piece of worn scapular…

Please correct me though if I am wrong… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Maria1993, I had the exact same reaction when I first found out that people sell Relics.

It is sad that there are many faithful people who would like a Relic of St. Bernadette or St. Francis of Assisi for Prayer and Veneration. However, from all of the Relic abuse I understand them not wanting to distribute Relics anymore.

Is the female Saint – St. Elizabeth Ann Seton?

setonheritage.org/

youtube.com/watch?v=mEfWlxGu6Mo

Pray for them.

God bless,

goforgoal

Yes! It was her!

These relics were going for over a hundred follars from what U remember…and they were bidding! I saw some among 26 dollars but It was probably a starting bid. .__.

I would be surprised if the Church was not guarding such relics very carefully, and therefore most purported relics for sale should be considered to be highly suspect in their authenticity.

Especially 1st class relics - parts of the saints body.

Relics are NOT to be sold. Some do so without knowing such.

(Some “sell” fakes as well…even unknowingly)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.