Relics question (not the usual)

I understand that relics are okay, not idolotry, etc.

I was told if you put something on a saint’s tomb it becomes a third-class relic.

Sounds good.

Question: What do you do with relics? What does “venerate” mean? (e.g. are they not supposed to touch the ground?)

Question: Should I lay a Rosary on the tomb or something else?

• First class: A part of the body of a saint.
• Second class: An item or piece of an item worn or used by a holy person during his or her lifetime. A pair of sandals, rosary or pencil, for example.
• Third class: An item that has been touched to a first-class relic. Usually, a third-class relic is a bit of cloth.

OK - so what is the difference between the classes when it comes to use? What exactly do you use them for? How do you use them?

For instance, I was given a 2nd class relic of St. Padre Pio, a piece of one of his cassocks. It is encased in a sealed plastic sleeve and I carry it with me in my bag. Is there anything else I can do with it? Can it be used to assist with a prayer for healing for instance? How would I go about it?

Maybe this can answer some of your questions?

catholic.com/library/Relics.asp

Thank you, mommyof4. It answers some of my questions. It is a bit light on specifics though. Perhaps the rules/instructions for using a relic have been ‘lost’ through disuse. I guess I’ll just have to muddle through on my own trusting that the Lord will deal with things and make up for any of my defiiciencies.

But what do you do with relics?

Use them much like you would a photograph. They are objects that remind us of the person and their example in life.

First class also includes the items of the Passion… piece of the True Cross, sliver from a nail, piece from the flogging post…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.