Relics

I have a relic medal of St. Faustina it in the back it has small piece of cloth sealed inside around the area where the cloth is it says EX INDUMENTIS what does this mean?

It means “of the cloth” or “of the clothing”. It identifies the cloth as a second-class relic.

Oh really!? Wow so I have a second class relic I thought it was a third class neato. :smiley:

Usually there will be a document accompanying a 2nd class relic to verify its authenticity, but if you don’t have any reason to doubt that it is a legitimate relic, then yes it’s 2nd class.

[quote=starrs0]I have a relic medal of St. Faustina it in the back it has small piece of cloth sealed inside around the area where the cloth is it says EX INDUMENTIS what does this mean?
[/quote]

Most likely, these are Third Class relics. I have quite a few of these EX INDUMENTIS relics myself, in ovular shaped medal containers. I even used to wear a couple.

Third Class relics are usually a cloth or a card of some sort that has touched a First Class relic or a shrine of the saint in question. It’s likely that your relic of St. Faustina acts in the same way.

Adore it, and let the medal bring you closer to Christ through St. Faustina!

EWTN answered a similar question to this:

ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=295265&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=3000&Author=&Keyword=indumentis&pgnu=1&groupnum=0

Just a quicky, you don’t ‘adore’ anything but God and the Blessed Sacrament (which is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ).

Pax:)

Venerate the relic and let it bring you closer to Christ, the Merciful One.

By the way, an ex indumentis does not always mean the relic is from the clothing. From what I read on the Saints Alive Website, it means “cloth touched to”. In this case it is a third class. However, I have relics that say ex indumentis and they are confirmed 2nd class relics. Well, either class, they are still holy relics.

EWTN says that it means ‘from the clothing worn’. Which is pretty cool, because it means I’ve got a second class relic of St Hannibal Maria Di Francia!

Prayer to Obtain Graces through the Intercession of
Saint Hannibal Di Francia

Divine Heart of Jesus,

You chose Saint Hannibal to be an Apostle of Prayer for Vocations and filled him with so much love that he became father of orphans and the poor. I beseech you: give me the strength to imitate his virtues and grant me through his intercession the special grace I need … May everything be for your glory, Lord, and for the greater good of my soul. Amen. (Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be…)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.