Religion, do you think there will ever be peace?

Hi,
After reading here for a while, and the thought has often come to my mind…
Do you think religion(s) will ever find peace between them?
What are your thoughts?
Personally, i dont see it happening in my lifetime.
:shrug:

I am Catholic – a peaceful faith in Christianity bringing you the truth about faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics
The East, as I understand, due to certain disinformation has seen only Islam; the true face of Jesus Christ and God is yet hidden from their eyes, which is truly speaking only peace.
God is All-Knowing; His Revealed Book, the BIBLE; gives you the correct path to salvation.

Also, does anyone know where Cestusdai, Montalban, Jack Hawkins etc have all gone?? they all have seen to have disappeared off the face of this earth!

There will be peace in the world when Jesus (pbuh) returns and unites all of humanity under one religion and one government… and this can only be Islam because no other faith is even remotely capable of encompassing both religious and secular rule over the entire planet.

Islam is the perfect deen i.e. a complete way of life.
“This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.”**… Al-Qur’an, Surah 5:3

Well that might be the case for you, but I certainly can’t agree with Islam’s “complete way of life”.
As to the OP:
Tough question. I’d certainly help if people would stay closer to the essence of God, i.e. love, and treat each other in a manner focused on that perspective.
If you look at history of mankind, sofar it has not been possible. With sorrow I must agree with dolphininlove; I don’t think anytime soon.
I also agree with you hamba: when Jesus comes! :wink:
Our Lord and savior :thumbsup:

I seem to recall a long, involved thread titled “Will we survive religion?” about exactly this subject here a while back, started by Valke2. If anyone’s interested in reading what the board members had to say then, I recommend looking it up – it was pretty interesting, one might say.

As for cestusdei, Montalban, and Jack Hawkins, I hope they’re just off being peaceful somewhere. :wink:

Complete nonsense! Complete way of life, my foot! Total denial of free will, just follow the rules all day, folks, no thinking required. You’ll be taught how to dress, what to eat and drink, no alcohol allowed, how to have sex the Islamic way, how to wipe your bottom when you go to the bathroom, which foot to step with first not only at the mosque but also the bathroom, men and women will be segregated, give up your dogs, since dogs are only allowed as guard dogs in Islam, even blind people will have to give them up as well, no sports, no TV, no movies, no art, no music, no pictures on your walls, all inventions by kaffirs will have to go! Your individuality and personality will be destroyed and you’ll be turned into the perfect little robots of “Allah” mindlessly following his “rules” all day!

The new “sports” will be watching thieves having their hands cut off, adulterers being stoned, heads cut off and public floggings for a start.

We’ll become a race of barbarians!

This is what Islam promises for us! :mad:

The history of world religions does sadly show that along with a lot of goodness and compassion inspired by them, some have also been the inspiration for terrible acts of violence and hatred.

I believe the voice of philosophy and reason, even sometimes if it has to come from skeptics, freethinkers, agnostics and atheists, as well as from rational religious people themselves, will provide a very good bridge between inter-religious dialogue as well as restraining the fanatics and fundamentalists from trying to force everyone to believe in their puny and narrow vision of what the cosmos must be. (This in my view applies to fanatics of any religion, Christianity included).

Hopefully the voices of reason and peace will in the end prevail against those of irrationality, superstition, fanatacism, and hatred, in all faiths.

Muslims value freedom just like everyone else… only that we choose to enjoy these freedoms, God-willing, in the Hereafter and not in this world which is, after all, only a temporary abode.

It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “This world is a prison for the believer and a paradise for the unbeliever. They are given these good things so that they have their good things sooner, in this world, and on the Day of Resurrection they will get what they deserve of punishment.”

And Allaah says in the Qur’an:

And on the Day that the Unbelievers will be placed before the Fire, (It will be said to them): “Ye received your good things in the life of the world, and ye took your pleasure out of them: but today shall ye be recompensed with a Penalty of humiliation: for that ye were arrogant on earth without just cause, and that ye (ever) transgressed.” … al-Ahqaaf, 46:20

Well, this thread is already sounding familiar in tone…

Booklover, regardless of your perceptions of what Islam teaches, doesn’t Christianity at least suggest that its adherents not be the first to show hostility, as in this thread you have done?

I speak against evil, I do not defend it! Those are things that Islam teaches. It’s a complete slavery not only of the body but of the mind.

Islam is showing us hostility every day in the continued persecutions of non-Muslims!

Vickie

What are these freedoms you value, which you cannot enjoy on this earth? Are you saying that you hate life and love death as OBL and the suicide bombers do? Is that why they strap bombs to themselves and blow up innocent civilians hoping for the 72 virgins, and rivers of wine in paradise?

It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “This world is a prison for the believer and a paradise for the unbeliever. They are given these good things so that they have their good things sooner, in this world, and on the Day of Resurrection they will get what they deserve of punishment.”

And Allaah says in the Qur’an:

And on the Day that the Unbelievers will be placed before the Fire, (It will be said to them): “Ye received your good things in the life of the world, and ye took your pleasure out of them: but today shall ye be recompensed with a Penalty of humiliation: for that ye were arrogant on earth without just cause, and that ye (ever) transgressed.” … al-Ahqaaf, 46:20

Quoting verses from the Quran will not work, since I don’t believe that Muhammad was a prophet or the Quran the word of God!

Vickie

Getting back to the actual question of whether or not there will be peace between religions, I think the answer is no.

I don’t think that their will ever be peace in this world because, as humans, we are incapable of truly loving others. No matter how hard we try to fulfill Jesus’ greatest command of loving others as we love ourselves, we fail.

Some of the reasons that I believe we, as humans fail to love one another are:

1. We feel superior to others in some way

2. We are all to some degree, selfish

3. We are too stubborn to realize that we don’t know it all, and that God is the only one capable of seeing the bigger picture of the universe.

Now although I don’t think that humans can bring peace between religions, I do think that we can take steps toward peace (even if they are baby steps) by often asking ourselves WWJD? and by working, in our little corner of the universe, to love those around us.

Why would God give us freedoms and then not allow us to use them? Sounds like what I’ve been saying all along, Islam denies free will which is a gift from God!

Vickie

To (hopefully) get this thread back on topic and away from the chorus of ‘rah rah Islam is eeeeeeevil’ that seems to plague any post by a Muslim, I think peace among religions is possible but not at all likely. No matter how much they may talk about love, it seems for many people it’s easier to hate. I don’t understand why they think it is so.

Don’t think it’s possible, just like how I don’t believe world peace is ever going to happen, and for the same reason - people like to fight each other. It’s called original sin.

Christian love bears evil, but it does not tolerate it. It does penance for the sins of others, but it is not broadminded about sin. The cry for tolerance never induces it to quench its hatred of the evil philosophies that have entered into contest with the Truth. It forgives the sinner, and it hates the sin; it is unmerciful to the error in his mind. The sinner it will always take back into the bosom of the Mystical Body; but his lie will never be taken into the treasury of His Wisdom.

Real love involves real hatred: whoever has lost the power of moral indignation and the urge to drive the buyers and sellers from the temples has also lost a living, fervent love of Truth.

Charity, then, is not a mild philosophy of “live and let live”; it is not a species of sloppy sentiment. Charity is the infusion of the Spirit of God, which makes us love the beautiful and hate the morally ugly.

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Vickie

Appeals to authority do little good in any case, and most of all when they merely show how grievously you have misapplied that authority’s teachings. Think we can get back on track yet?

Religion, do you think there will ever be peace?

There will be peace when the Prince of Peace returns to rule.

Hi
Elijah (Idris) went alongwith his chariot and horses riding wind to the skies; the Jews , the Christian and the TaditionalMuslims believe this alright.
He was to descend from the skies before JesusYeshuaIssa’s first arrival. Did it happen?
Jews don’t believe it ever happened.
This is related to " when Jesus comes!"
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics
The West, as I understand, due to certain disinformation has seen only MullahIslam or MullahShariah; the true face of Muhammad’sIslam and PromisedMessiahImamMahdi’sIslam is yet hidden from their eyes, which is truly speaking only peaceful.
GodAllahYHWH is All-Knowing; one should invariably give Claim and Reason on all important issues from one’s Revealed Book; one shouldn’t try putting one’s own words into God’s mouth.

In what way? He talked of evil philosophies, didn’t he??

Did Hamba refute any of the accusations I made against Islam?

Vickie

Hi
I agree with you. Good discussion should not be in bitterness.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics
The West, as I understand, due to certain disinformation has seen only MullahIslam or MullahShariah; the true face of Muhammad’sIslam and PromisedMessiahImamMahdi’sIslam is yet hidden from their eyes, which is truly speaking only peaceful.
GodAllahYHWH is All-Knowing; one should invariably give Claim and Reason on all important issues from one’s Revealed Book; one shouldn’t try putting one’s own words into God’s mouth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.