Religion of Tolerance?l

The world is a diverse place and we can learn much from each other because of this diversity. But, I am confused. With all that is published on Islam now, I would like an answer to some questions.

1. Why do you refer to your religion as a religion of tolerance when the opposite is more prevalent?

2. With over 1 billion muslims in the world, surely you outnumber the terrorists that proclaim Islam. Why don’t you rise up and destroy those who desicrate your faith who live within your faith?

‘Gets more headlines’ does not mean ‘more prevalent’.

1. With over 1 billion muslims in the world, surely you outnumber the terrorists that proclaim Islam. Why don’t you rise up and destroy those who desicrate your faith who live within your faith?

Why haven’t the Christians assassinated Fred Phelps yet?

Answer that for yourself, and I expect you’ll come up with about the same answers you’re going to get here.

Let me begin by saying I am not Muslim.

A faith path that is tolerant would not “rise up and destroy” anything. Only an intolerant one would.

They do that because they know the West values tolerance, so they give lip service to it in the Western media. If you look at the media in staunch Muslim countries, I doubt if you’d see that catch phrase. Strict Muslim countries are the most intolerant in the world.

You don’t see Buddhists calling themselves ‘a religion of tolerance’. That’s because they don’t need to have a public relations campaign, since everyone knows that Buddhism is a peaceful religion already. But the Muslims need to have an ad campaign to trick the public. It’s similar to the tobacco industry trying to convince the public that cigarettes are harmless.

And also, it’s very difficult to root out ‘terrorists’ when they’re not exactly people who operate openly. Muslims can’t exactly just walk into a Mosque and say “can everyone thinking of committing acts of terrorism please raise their hand?”

The issue is that muslims don’t define terrorism as terrorism, they call it jihad. Osama doesn’t think he is a terrorist. Let’s start with any muslim who won’t condemn groups like hamas and hezbullah. Also any muslim who denies freedoms to Christians that he enjoys in our countries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.