Religions in the U.S.

Here’s some interesting numbers I found on CIA’s world factbook page:

Religions (in the U.S.)

Protestant 52%, Roman Catholic 24%, Mormon 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 1%, other 10%, none 10% (2002 est.)

I never realized the 2 to 1 ratio of Protestants vs. Catholics.

In South Carolina, it’s much worse than that. According to the diocesan web site, the state is only 3.7% Catholic. Catholicism is the largest single denomination in the US, though, after you break Protestants down into their individual denominations.

Yes, compared to Protestants, we are a religious minority in this country. However, when you break Protetantism down to the myriad of competing denominations and sects, we are actually the largest single religious group (I’ve heard that the second largest group is *non-practicing *Catholics :frowning: ).

[quote=Fidelis]Yes, compared to Protestants, we are a religious minority in this country. However, when you break Protetantism down to the myriad of competing denominations and sects, we are actually the largest single religious group (I’ve heard that the second largest group is *non-practicing *Catholics :frowning: ).
[/quote]

You know, though, most non-practicing Catholics still call themselves Catholic. Most of my friends or family that don’t attend mass have the attitude that the Catholic Church is still the only correct one and if they ever come back to Christ they’d do it through the Catholic Church.

I really need to introduce some of them to the Catholic Answers forums. :cool:

Wow. I had no idea there were that few Jews and Muslims in the US.

[quote=Jabronie]Here’s some interesting numbers I found on CIA’s world factbook page:

Religions (in the U.S.)

Protestant 52%, Roman Catholic 24%, Mormon 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 1%, other 10%, none 10% (2002 est.)

I never realized the 2 to 1 ratio of Protestants vs. Catholics.
[/quote]

If I am correct to place agnostics into the “other” category. I am not supprised to see such a low number.

This is misleading. The Roman Catholic Church is not a denomination.

That statistical data is also slightly misleading. It should have broken down protestants into their different denominations.

A call to American Catholics: WAKE UP!
PAX

[quote=geezerbob]In South Carolina, it’s much worse than that. According to the diocesan web site, the state is only 3.7% Catholic. Catholicism is the largest single denomination in the US, though, after you break Protestants down into their individual denominations.
[/quote]

[quote=geezerbob]In South Carolina, it’s much worse than that. According to the diocesan web site, the state is only 3.7% Catholic
[/quote]

Wow, thats great, we have increased. When I became Catholic in 1985, the state was only 2% Catholic. The down side is that after 20 years we have only increased 1.7%?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.