Religious Ed

I teach 5th grade religious ed. A student tells me and the whole class I don’t believe in God. How would you respond to him?

I’m a little unclear about exactly what the student said. Did he say that HE doesn’t believe in God or that YOU don’t believe in God? You didn’t use quote marks so I saw either interpretation as potentially correct.

If the former is true, I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with some of the basic arguments Thomas Aquinas used to demonstrate the existence of God. You should be able to formulate a series of questions that could easily show a 10-11 year old that God must exist.

A good source is the book “A Companion to the Summa” by Walter Farrell, O.P. It’s out of print but you can still find it online at op.org/Farrell/companion/

This re-presents Aquinas’ Summa in a more modern way; although it is from the 1930’s and 40’s so it is not THAT modern.

If the latter is true, I would simply say, “of course I do,” and leave it at that.

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.