Religious freedom? US and Europe are having a laugh at the Church's expense

US President Barack Obama declared today Religious Freedom Day but his administration is working overtime to deny religious freedom to pro-life Americans who do not want their companies, schools or businesses to pay for drugs that may cause abortions.

Read more: lifenews.com/2013/01/16/obama-declares-religious-freedom-day-as-his-admin-denies-it/

In Europe, Vatican official is alarmed by religious freedom rulings of the European Court on Human Right’s this week.

Read more: sconews.co.uk/news/24640/vatican-alarmed-by-religious-freedom-rulings-in-europe/

Sorry to be such a Hollywoodised Scot about this but: “You may take our lives, but you’ll never take our freedom.”

Based on his own words, Obama seems to believe in “freedom of worship” (I.e., you can do what you want in your ceremonials), and not so much “freedom of religion” (I.e., freedom to live in accordance with one’s religious beliefs). His idea of religious freedom seems limited by what the State, as he sees it, would let you do, based on his political and social agenda.

I think that any country or group of countries that attempts to suppress religious freedom will have a very bad time of it. This would be triply true if all of the various religious groups would come together to support freedom of religion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.