Religious groups offer sanctuary to immigrants targeted in ICE raids

*Religious groups and activists vowed Wednesday to offer refuge to illegal immigrants who are the targets of ongoing federal raids meant to combat a new wave of border-crossing from Central America.

The announcement recalled the sanctuary movement of the 1980s that provided safe haven to several thousand people fleeing civil wars in El Salvador and Guatemala, with churches in Los Angeles, Chicago and other cities sometimes filled with people seeking asylum in the United States.*

washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/religious-groups-offer-sanctuary-to-immigrants-targeted-in-ice-raids/2016/01/06/183e5dd6-b416-11e5-a76a-0b5145e8679a_story.html

What a beautiful thing IMO^^…These servants of Holy work are basically risking their own freedoms to help out refugees. Imagine you have a new friend who has just arrived from Central America last year… and all of a sudden you see a bunch of armed police men come to take away your new friend …what would you do?..and keep in mind folks that our actions will echo for all of eternity. As a Catholic I am commanded to help refugees, its not even a question…I find that I would be excommunicated if I was to be one of those folks who are saying we should not at all help the refugees.

Since the government doesn’t expel them anyway, what is the point? To feel good?

More like lawlessness and anarchy. Sheltering people from the law is unjust and illegal and the groups involved in this should be ashamed. Better still they should be prosecuted for harboring fugitives.

Sheltering Jews from the ovens is commendable.

This is something else altogether.

I believe there have been some deportations,

*At the start of the year, the Obama administration launched a large-scale effort targeting those who have already been ordered to leave the country. About 120 adults and children have been apprehended in raids in several states.

The effort, which is expected to include several hundred more apprehensions, has drawn sharp criticism from those who advocate for undocumented immigrants. They argue that Central Americans who are entering the country illegally should be offered the same protections extended to Syrian refugees.

Instead, Central Americans are being processed for deportation rapidly, sometimes without legal representation, said Marielena Hincapié, executive director of the Los Angeles-based National Immigration Law Center.*

washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/religious-groups-offer-sanctuary-to-immigrants-targeted-in-ice-raids/2016/01/06/183e5dd6-b416-11e5-a76a-0b5145e8679a_story.html

I find that the folks who are helping the refugees are doing so because this is what their religion commands of them. Its not really a feel good thing, its a commandment. Though it probably feels very good for these people to help the refugees.

We are not talking about hard core criminals being deported…were talking about families here that are at risk of deportation. Jesus Christ commands Christians to help people out…I find that if for example I was to say we should totally shut our doors, we should build a separation wall…that could easily be grounds for excommunication from the Catholic Church.

Helping people is commendable.

During WW2 some folks would say that the refugees are not my problem. Today some folks are saying no, the refugees are not my problem.

Help those you love to get legal. Sponsor a family and provide them with legal jobs. Put your credit on the line to get them decent housing. Pay for English lessons so they can survive on their own as legal residents. Teaching people to defy just laws is not what Jesus taught–it is the opposite.

You obviously do not understand excommunication, which is a matter of canon law, not your feelings.

1. Illegal immigration is in itself a crime. Anyone crossing borders without following the proper process laid down by law is a criminal.
  2. Jesus said to “render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s”. That means to obey the law of the state (I appreciate there could be very exceptional situations where this should not be done, but stopping illegals being deported hardly seems to qualify).
  3. Excommunicated? I sincerely doubt it. :rolleyes:

Illegal immigration is not necessary a criminal offense. 1st offense is a misdemeanor.

A misdemeanor is a crime. Criminal offenses are either misdemeanors which are punishable by jail time of one year or less, or felonies, which are punishable by imprisonment of more than one year.

If you want a quick lesson go observe a local traffic court. Ordinary offenses like speeding are not crimes, but if you are charged with a misdemeanor like reckless driving or drunk driving, the judge will recite your rights to an attorney or a jury trial.

I stand partially corrected. It is a crime to cross the border illegally. It’s not a crime to be in the United States without legal status (it’s a civil offense).

An illegal immigrant who, without taking any action to attempt to regularize their situation, seeks to remain, is like a thief who is allowed to keep their stolen goods. In both cases, the person has committed a crime and is permitted to continue to benefit from that crime with no sanction.

Where are people saying that we should never help refugees? There are all kinds of solutions proposed, but the American left won’t seem to accept anything but letting them all in.

As far excommunication goes, I’m not sure that would be the case at all. That is very serious and should not be used as some kind of feel-good club.

And how many refugees during WWII were looking to enter the USA to impose a 7th-Century religious government or blow up civilians?

I would also point that Italians, Germans and Japanese were banned from entering American during some of that time, and that Iranians were banned from entering American during the 1970s.

Trader;13562654]Help those you love to get legal. Sponsor a family and provide them with legal jobs. Put your credit on the line to get them decent housing. Pay for English lessons so they can survive on their own as legal residents. Teaching people to defy just laws is not what Jesus taught–it is the opposite.

Agreed, but many who say they want to “help” won’t do that, because that’s not what this about. It’s all about them getting cred from people who are different and special attention or just thumbing their nose at the system for all I know. Besides, that all requires work and personal sacrifice and many feel they themselves are entitled to more, not less.

This mentality is a BIG problem in international development projects as well. One can just see the poor villagers rolling their eyes whenever East Asians or Westerners show up wanting to “help”.

I once went to a church that did that. A lot of parishioners were able to sponsor refugees from Somalia and helped them get legal residency and I volunteered in a program that helped them set-up households and procure jobs. This is much, much better than living on the run, wondering when you are going to get caught. This is not the way to live.

A lot of the parishioners, myself included, know that helping someone get legal residency is much more preferable to living on the run.

Hello trader :slight_smile:

I don’t believe I have specifically commented on laws in the USA, I certainly fully support the laws of our land. At the same time I praise these peaceful religious people(Christians included lets keep this in mind) for taking a peaceful stand for these immigrants. Also, remember, its we the people. Civilians, LE, the Gov, the Military…all work together to make this country a great place.

On social media outlets

There have been some folks on social media that have said worse in fact.

The American left as in who? Is it Obama and those who voted for Obama.

You won’t see me being critical of the so called left or right, fwiw I don’t use terms like the left or right. I supported GWB and I support Obama. The last US Presidential election I voted for Gary Johnson. I’m glad Johnson has announced his Candidacy for the 2016 US Presidential election, Ill probably vote Johnson for POTUS.

Here are some numbers, we have taken in 750K refugees since 2001. I would not have an open door policy, as in let in anyone. I support security, but there is no need for example for a separation wall to be built along the Mexican border. I find that over a 10 year period, we can take in 1 million Syrian refugees. The folks who handle immigrants have the best technology in the world to work with. We are not at war with Syrians, we are at war with ISIL, ISIL is a terrorist group made up of Euros, Arabs, Kurds, Asians, Americans, Euros, the list goes on.

If your saying Excommunication is a serious thing, I agree. I find that it might go against Church policy in a major way if I was to say that we should allow in no refugees, or for example say that I support the Muslim ban. Vatican two makes it pretty clear IMO when it comes to refugees,

*“Therefore, the Church reproves, as foreign to the mind of Christ, any discrimination against people or any harassment of them on the basis of their race, color, condition in life or religion. Accordingly, following the footsteps of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul, the sacred Council earnestly begs the Christian faithful to ‘conduct themselves well among the Gentiles’ (1P 2:12) and if possible, as far as depends on them, to be at peace with all men (cf. Rm 12:18), and in that way to be true sons of the Father who is in heaven (cf. Mt 5:45).” *

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/ecumenical-and-interreligious/interreligious/islam/vatican-council-and-papal-statements-on-islam.cfm

SuperLuigi, I would be against blocking all refugees from entering our country, do you think this is a fair viewpoint? We ought to take in some # of Syrian refugees IMO. After all Pope Francis has preached to Christians to help the refugees.

washingtonpost.com/world/refugees-keep-streaming-into-europe-as-crisis-continues-unabated/2015/09/06/8a330572-5345-11e5-b225-90edbd49f362_story.html

cruxnow.com/church/2015/11/23/catholic-bishops-double-down-on-welcoming-syrian-refugees/

Not so. People who are apprehended are given a date to appear before INS court for a deportation hearing. Almost none of them show up, and nobody goes after them if they don’t.

A few years ago, local police called ICE when they apprehended an illegal for some reason. They don’t bother anymore because ICE won’t come and get the person anymore.

And ICE raids? What a joke! ICE used to raid establishments that had a lot of illegal applicants, usually with the employer’s complicity. That doesn’t happen anymore either.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.