religious holidays

“You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain…” (Gal. 4:10-11). It was wrong then. It is wrong now.

How do you answer a fundamentalist when he/she uses this above verse to say that we are not suppose to recognize religious holidays?

Simply put . . .

Our Holy Mother Church doesn’t prohibit the celebration of holidays. If that particular verse was meant to be interpreted in the way that your friend was interpreting it, the Church would have prohibited holidays from the beginning.

Since your friend doesn’t recognize the authority of the Catholic Church to interpret scripture (that the Catholic Church compiled to begin with) he will probably not agree with you. If he’s fundamentalist, he believes in “scripture alone” which usually means “scripture interpreted by the one who is currently reading it”. He doesn’t recognize the authority of the Catholic Church to be the sole interpreter.

Well, if it were me I would simply ask him, “Do you really believe every word in the Bible?” Of course, being fundamentalist, he will reply, “Yes, I do.” To which I would simply say, “Good, then you, Jesus, and the Catholic Church are all in agreement, since even Christ recognized Passover.” I’d then follow it up by saying, “Gal 4:10-11 must not mean what you think it does. Perhaps, with the assistance of God’s Church (Called the pillar of Truth in James) and with the help of the Holy Spirit, you can learn what it is the passage actually means.” That’s just me though. I don’t have much patience with Protestants who seem bent on using the Bible to tear down the Catholic Church even at the expense of their own religion and the Bible which they admit is the Word of God.

Romans 14:5-6 is the response I would give and then I would walk away.

The arguments they will provide will have no end.

As per usual, the context explains what St. Paul was talking about. The verses immediately preceding 10-11 tell us what he was warning the Galatians against:

[8] Formerly, when you did not know God, you were in bondage to beings that by nature are no gods;
[9] but now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits, whose slaves you want to be once more?

The Galatians had been pagans who worshiped pagan gods according to the customs of those gods. They were continuing to do so even though they no longer worshiped those gods–probably because everyone else was and they had celebrated that way all their lives.

The passage has absolutely nothing to do with the seasons and holy days of the Church, which hadn’t even been forulated yet. How could the Galatians have been guilty of keeping the Feast of the Nativity, for example, when it wasn’t yet established? And no, it doesn’t mean that once the Church had established them that it was wrong for the Church to do so. And most certainly not on the basis of these two verses (10-11), which have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

This type of interpretation is called “fishing” because a anti-Catholic goes fishing in the Bible for verses that appear to support his position but only if he first tells you that “the Church has seasons and years and holy days so these verses must be talking about them and saying that it’s wrong.” Of course, he has to ignore the context completely to come to that conclusion and he has no historical basis to back him up, but never mind, he just knows it refers to that “evil” Catholic Church, so that’s what it has to mean. :rolleyes:

Paul is referring to the Galatians returning to their old (pagan) ways…
“…how can you return to those powerless, worthless, natural elements to which you seem willing to enslave yourselves once more? You even go so far as to keep the ceremonial observance of days and months, seasons and years.”

He is not talking about our religious holidays. He is talking about pagan observances. Your friend has taken it out of context.

The early Christians in Bible times did worship on Sundays. For instance, in Revelation 1:10 “I was in the spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,”. Or in Acts 20:7 “And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.” That’s an all day worship service! By the way, both of my Bible quotes are from the KJV, since that’s probably the translation that your fundamentalist Protestant friends use.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.