Religious life, debt and parents

Discerning a vocation not sure if religious or diocesan, but leaning to religious and I have personal debt. I do have student loans, but not too concerned about that at the moment. It's more of personal debt.

I have a car loan. Can I just tell the bank I no longer want the car and they take it back?

Credit card debt. I have little over 9,000 to pay back due to sinful past and immaturity. Now, it's going to be some work to pay this off due to not a lot of jobs.However, my parents have said they would take the responsibility of paying it for me. I'd rather they didn't. If they insisted in order for me to go into the monastery sooner than I would if I tried to work and pay it off, would I be accepted?

I know it's my responsibility and I'm looking into trying to get it removed, but what if your parents insisted on paying for it?

[quote="Gigan, post:1, topic:198271"]
Discerning a vocation not sure if religious or diocesan, but leaning to religious and I have personal debt. I do have student loans, but not too concerned about that at the moment. It's more of personal debt.

I have a car loan. Can I just tell the bank I no longer want the car and they take it back?

Credit card debt. I have little over 9,000 to pay back due to sinful past and immaturity. Now, it's going to be some work to pay this off due to not a lot of jobs.However, my parents have said they would take the responsibility of paying it for me. I'd rather they didn't. If they insisted in order for me to go into the monastery sooner than I would if I tried to work and pay it off, would I be accepted?

I know it's my responsibility and I'm looking into trying to get it removed, but what if your parents insisted on paying for it?

[/quote]

Most religious communities will not accept you into the novitiate until you are free from worldly attachments. Debt is worldly attachment that must be settled. If your parents have the money to help you pay off some of your debt, then that would be a very charitable gesture on their part; but it is not their responsibility to pay off your debts. You did the crime, and you must do the time. Look up Dave Ramsey and his book, The Total Money Makeover. He can help you get started. It might take 2-3 part-time jobs and 1-2 years, but debt freedom is a real possibility.

If you call the bank and tell them to repossess the car, they will do so but at a loss. They will take your car and sell it cheap to get rid of it, and whatever difference is left on the loan after this sale will be owed by you.

God bless,

A

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.