Religious Names

I was wondering about religious names, like St. Teresa of Jesus, St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, St. John of the Cross, etc. do they choose the name or does someone give their name to them in the case of the Order of Carmelites Discalced?

If you were to choose a religious name, what would it be? Just wondering :smiley:

Every religious order is different.

Some allow the novice to choose their own name; some have the novice submit 2 or 3 names they would like to be considered; other orders choose the name without any input from the novice at all.

For the first part, is varies form order to order.

For the second part, keep in mind that I am going with the first thing that popped in my brain, but I would go with “John Mary” after my favorite sacred author and the Blessed Mother.

The main thing is that when a name is taken it must be unique within the order. That is no one else alive in the order can have the name chosen.

My pre-novice director would jokingly give us names as we left the prenovitiate.

I liked mine. David of the Seven Sorrows of Mary.

[quote="jcian12, post:1, topic:233191"]

If you were to choose a religious name, what would it be? Just wondering :D

[/quote]

Christopher-Gemma of Our Lady of Sorrows

:thumbsup:

lol, I thought that I was the only one who day-dreamed about my potential name if I were able to become a Consecrated Religious. :p

If I could have any religious name, it would be:

Sr. Mary Catherine of the Immaculate***

Mary, for, well, my Mama obviously! I love my Mama.

Catherine for St. Catherine of Siena, my favorite saint.

"of the Immaculate" is my favorite title because I consecrated myself to Our Lady Immaculate on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception in 2009. Every year, I renew my consecration. I used the prayer by St. Maximilian Kolbe.

If I wasn't able to choose "Immaculate" or if I was able to choose two titles, the other would be "of the Blessed Sacrament." It was a very powerful part of my reversion to the Church. :)

Me? I'd happily be Augustine of the Blessed Sacrament. I've always loved St. Augustine. His intercession is powerful, his writing wonderful, and his example great. As for the Blessed Sacrament...well it's the best thing we have in this life! Jesus himself.

I realized I haven't answered my own question :D
I like Jerome of Jesus and Mary.
Jesus for Jesus Christ, and Mary for the Virgin Mary. I think that was pretty obvious :D

[quote="ByzCath, post:4, topic:233191"]
The main thing is that when a name is taken it must be unique within the order. That is no one else alive in the order can have the name chosen.

My pre-novice director would jokingly give us names as we left the prenovitiate.

[/quote]

Beautiful...was it prophetic?

[quote="Shoshana, post:9, topic:233191"]

Beautiful...was it prophetic?

[/quote]

It may have been. I had a devotion to the Seven Sorrows of Mary at the time and before I entered the Order. He did not know this when he gave me this name. He did so because at the time I was, what some may call, a pessimist. I called it being a realist.

I have changed much since then and still feel a draw to the Seven Sorrows though I do not pray the chaplet at this time.

I think this, as well as my being assigned to our High School in Tucson, where one of the top 10 nationally ranked Cancer Centers is only 5 minutes from my priory. When I entered the order I totally refused to go to one of our High Schools, by the time my internship came up I was open to the option and accepted it when I was told that is where they wanted to send me.

I can see the Spirit at work in my life. Some times it scares me a little bit because I believe that this may mean that there is some important work ahead for me and I fear that I may not be up to it.

Thank you somuch for sharing, Bro! My heart and prayers go up for you (as always) and I know that, with the Spirit fo Carmel behind you, all will be well and you will receive the strength needed for whatever the Order (the Lord) has in store for you. I will be going to my ocds meeting this Sat and will, amongst my fellow carmelites, offer the whole day for you as you journey into His Presence! May He shine His Face upon you today and everyday!

(I also am a melancholic…by nature…not totally mind you…sanguine also…but the Lord has worked with me through over 25 years of direction!). And even my director expressed his surprise last month when he said that all that I have been through and loved being around people (in the past more) that the Lord would steer more into a monastic kinda of attitude. I love being more alone now…within limits of course. Being in love with the carmelite charism (more so its contemplative side)…it has in itself been a journey…and still is so…enough rambling!:blush:

David of the Seven Sorrows of Mary.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Most monastics require it to only be within the abbey, not the entire order.

[quote="Saint_Macarius, post:13, topic:233191"]
Most monastics require it to only be within the abbey, not the entire order.

[/quote]

I think for us, when we did it, it was required by province.

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:6, topic:233191"]
If I could have any religious name, it would be:

Sr. Mary Catherine of the Immaculate***

Mary, for, well, my Mama obviously! I love my Mama.

Catherine for St. Catherine of Siena, my favorite saint.

"of the Immaculate" is my favorite title because I consecrated myself to Our Lady Immaculate on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception in 2009. Every year, I renew my consecration. I used the prayer by St. Maximilian Kolbe.

If I wasn't able to choose "Immaculate" or if I was able to choose two titles, the other would be "of the Blessed Sacrament." It was a very powerful part of my reversion to the Church. :)

[/quote]

I wonder if the name is available in the SsEW?

I would ask for a double name of two very spiritual religious in my life that have been a huge part of my growing in the faith and discerning the religious life.

Daughter, what temperment are you considered? My friend says I'm considered the life of the party (when I'm comfortable and close with those people). I love to do impressions/impersonations, being a goofball, joking, and dancing sometimes just with those I'm close with.

I read in the Catechism that when you are baptised, you are given a Catholic name. What does this mean? And what why are you given a name?

I am a third order discalced carmelite aspirant. Meaning, in December I get my scapular and I get to choose a name. I haven’t a clue what name to choose!! Luckily I guess I have many months to think of it but I am at a total loss.

[quote="FaustinaClare, post:17, topic:233191"]
I am a third order discalced carmelite aspirant. Meaning, in December I get my scapular and I get to choose a name. I haven't a clue what name to choose!! Luckily I guess I have many months to think of it but I am at a total loss.

[/quote]

I will receive mine in February also...they say I can have the discalced nuns to choose it for me or I can choose it...hmmmm....must talk to my director....

[quote="FaustinaClare, post:17, topic:233191"]
I am a third order discalced carmelite aspirant. Meaning, in December I get my scapular and I get to choose a name. I haven't a clue what name to choose!! Luckily I guess I have many months to think of it but I am at a total loss.

[/quote]

[quote="Shoshana, post:18, topic:233191"]

I will receive mine in February also...they say I can have the discalced nuns to choose it for me or I can choose it...hmmmm....must talk to my director....

[/quote]

Again. How do you get these names, and what is the meaning behind them?

[quote="Blood_Angel, post:19, topic:233191"]
Again. How do you get these names, and what is the meaning behind them?

[/quote]

As a 3rd order you are allowed to choose your own when you receive your scapular and officially join the order. The purpose as I understand it, is to take on a new name to represent your new life in the order.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.