I’m really hoping some of you can help. I’ve been going back and forth between the Dominicans (Province of St Joseph) and the Jesuits. I have concerns about both! Here are some of the things I’m looking for in a religious community:
(1) Orthodoxy (vast majority of the order firmly committed to magisterial teaching)
(2) Emphasis on prayer and robust, beautiful liturgical life
(3) Dedication to the Blessed Virgin Mary
(4) Simplicity / poverty among the entire order
(5) Very strong academics (I’m a PhD candidate in philosophy!)
(6) A reasonable degree of independence & self-direction. For instance, I would probably want a secular teaching job to evangelize those who are not Catholic.
I think the Dominicans are good with (1)-(3), but not so much with (5)-(6), which the Jesuits seems to do better (but not incredibly well). I think that if you want to study Aquinas exclusively, then the Dominicans might score higher on (6). I’m not sure either order really has (4)…
Anyway, I’m hoping for suggestions of other communities? Sometimes I just wish that I could gather a few very faithful friends of mine, live together, become ordained, and serve in the way that we think best. But it seems like I can’t do this Any advice?