Religious Orders in Other Denominations

There are of course religious orders in the Anglican Church anglicansonline.org/resources/orders.html and Orthodox Churches as well as a few Luttheran orders BUT for those of you that didn’t know (as I didn’t) there is also a relgious order in the
United Church of Christ called the Order of Corpus Christi (orderofcorpuschristi.org/ ) and a United Methodist religious order called the Order of St. Luke (not to be confused with the Order of Saint Luke the Physcian) saint-luke.org/who/index.html . The order of Saint Luke (UMC) according to their web site is a religious order dedicated to liturgical renewal and scholarship and is ecumenical (ie men and women from other faith groups may become members of the order).

I think it is rather neat. I remember reading on the Anglican Brotherhood of Saint Gregory web site that they had been invited to attend Mass at a Roman Catholic order’s monestary (of course they could not receive communion).

Ahhhh…the sheer variety of religious life. Okay…I have not found a Southern Baptist Religious order yet.:smiley:

Rev North

I have been an avowed member of the Order of St. Luke since 1991.

It came as quite a surprise to me when I discovered there were denominations out side of the RCC/Orthodox/Anglicans and Lutherans that had religious orders.

I assume that since you have been a professed member for 16 years you must have found it spiritually rewarding/fulfilling.

Rev North

Very much so. A real blessing.

What is the greatest blessing or benefit that you see to living life as a professed member of a religious order?

Rev North

Do you know what some of the Lutheran religious orders are?

Below is a link to one here in the US. If I recall correctly, a LCMS pastor told me there were some in Europe (understandably). This order appears to have Brothers in Germany as well as the US. Some history of inter catholic relations (Lutheran-Catholic reconciliation) by one of the founders.

staugustineshouse.org/index.html

They apparently have good relations with a Roman Catholic Benedictine Order across the street and a group of RC Dominican sisters nearby.

Looks like they have a fellowship (associates) so you may want to explore it. There is a link to a German order of some kind.

Rev North

I don’t know if you are familiar with the Taize community in France–it includes Catholics and Protestants.

taize.fr/en_rubrique8.html

Thanks. That is very interesting.:slight_smile:

Are you just curious or thinking about/drawn to professed religious life?

There are ecumenical orders if you cannot find a suitable Lutheran expression, such as the Order of St. Luke (linked above)or an ecumenical Franciscan order. I recall seeing the link from an Anglican Franciscan page that noted if you were not Anglican you could fulfill that vocation through them.

franciscans.com/franciscans/index.html

Many of them have ways of living out your vocation even if married (eg Third Orders) and so on.

Rev North

Actually, I am just curious. I did go to a few meetings regarding lay association with the Sisters of Notre Dame. However, I did not discern a calling to the lay association or the order. Their charisms did not appeal to me. I have not felt a calling to any other secular orders or Third Orders.

You never know. You do have to find one (even lay) whose charisms you feel called to share:

FYI here is another (ecumenical)

benedictinewomen.org/

And if you are ELCA Lutheran then you are in Communion with the Episcopal Church and should be able to join one of the many Episcopal religious orders (link below).

anglicansonline.org/resources/orders.html

The sheer variety of religious life is interesting.

Rev North

Actually, I am Catholic. So Lutheran, Episcopal or United Church of Christ would not be for me. It would have to be Catholic or ecumenical.

Well…then you really do have plenty of expressions to choose from :smiley:

Rev North

True. I have not found one that I felt a calling to yet. I will not say “never”. I’ll leave that to God if that is his will.

By the way, are you part of a religious order?

The Klan?

just kidding. i live in the south and baptists are everywhere. they don’t put a lot of enphasis on education for preachers, they just want them to know the Bible and be able to make it come alive in their preaching…

:eek:

Now play nice in the sandbox:D

{PS I know you are only kidding}

In answer to Lak’s question I am an associate of an Anglican religious order (kind of like a Third Order but not quite to that level and associates usually can be ecumenical).

I am curious about Carmelites as I seem to read a lot about people really becoming attraced to that order (also in terms of Third Orders).

You joke about S. Baptists but I have read a number of fundamentalist web sites where they get bent out of shape about people like the great christian song writer Rich Mullins (writer of Awesome God, My Deliverer and so on) who adhered to a Franciscan life style (was apparently in RCIA at one point) and took private vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience or Brennan Manning (wonderful author of Raggamuffin Gospel) who is liturgical in his outlook (for obvious reasons) or even Michael Card (great Protestant Troubadour) who teamed up with John Michael Talbot (Great Catholic Troubadour).

Yet, there are number of Protestants who realize they are missing something. I worked with a Southern Baptist Chaplain who was conservative and had a doctorate in Patristics. He prayed from the Book of Common Prayer (through me for a loop).

Rev North

Nice.:slight_smile:

You joke about S. Baptists but I have read a number of fundamentalist web sites where they get bent out of shape about people like the great christian song writer Rich Mullins (writer of Awesome God, My Deliverer and so on) who adhered to a Franciscan life style (was apparently in RCIA at one point) and took private vows of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience or Brennan Manning (wonderful author of Raggamuffin Gospel) who is liturgical in his outlook (for obvious reasons) or even Michael Card (great Protestant Troubadour) who teamed up with John Michael Talbot (Great Catholic Troubadour).

That is interesting. I never knew about Rich Mullins. He was one of my favourite Christian musicians. I also was not aware that Michael Card and John Michael Talbot worked together.

Yet, there are number of Protestants who realize they are missing something. I worked with a Southern Baptist Chaplain who was conservative and had a doctorate in Patristics. He prayed from the Book of Common Prayer (through me for a loop).

Rev North

I do not stereotype anybody. It does not surprise me that Baptists have an interest in liturgy. The Holy Spirit can draw anybody to a deeper spirituality.

Google Rich Mullins. It is interesting. He turned over all of his income to his church and in turn received a small income. Lived and worked on an Indian Reservation and loved St. Francis.

If I recall the Christianity Today article (several years ago), Michael card had a couple of tour venues cancelled. It was okay for Talbot to show up or Card but not together (looked too much like acceptance of Catholic faith). But then Chuck Colson has received a lot of flack for stating that Cahtolics were brothers in faith. Kind of sad.

Rev North

I will do that.

If I recall the Christianity Today article (several years ago), Michael card had a couple of tour venues cancelled. It was okay for Talbot to show up or Card but not together (looked too much like acceptance of Catholic faith). But then Chuck Colson has received a lot of flack for stating that Cahtolics were brothers in faith. Kind of sad.

Rev North

That is sad. We will need to keep praying for the differences to be resolved by our Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.