Religious Orders Open to Mental/Emotional Weakness

:slight_smile:

Hello,

I am discerning the religious life and I have some past bouts of emotional/mental weakness. I would like to know what female orders are open to those with emotional/mental issues.

A poster in the “Priesthood and depression” thread said that they knew an order that was open to those with Bipolar on medicine, so they are out there.

Please let me know what you know.

Thank you and God bless you. :slight_smile:

JoyfulLife

Very good question because I suffer from chronic depression.

Does the Church look at “mental disorders” as a spiritual defect or an illness of the mind?

The Church regards mental illness as an illness - not as any sort of spiritual defect etc.

There is a non-habited order I know of that will accept women with mental illnesses and medication. They are the Benedictine Sisters of St. Leo, FL. They were posted on here once before by another poster, and for some reason, they remained in my memory. :blush:

floridabenedictines.com

It seems it may very well even be a nutritional condition, so I'm still learning about this.

Anyone know of any orders that fit the description? I tried to PM that poster in the other thread about the order that accepts those with bipolar, but they haven't gotten back to me.

I know for a fact, as a young woman with bipolar, that it does not discount you from entering a community per your managing it and staying healthy.

One order dumped me when they found out I was on medicine for my condition and what my condition was; though, they were strict in poverty and had a lot of demands.

What kind of orders are you referring to and what might help me get accepted?

I am referring to an apostolic order, the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Monroe, Michigan.

[quote="JoyfulLife, post:7, topic:207604"]
One order dumped me when they found out I was on medicine for my condition and what my condition was; though, they were strict in poverty and had a lot of demands.

What kind of orders are you referring to and what might help me get accepted?

[/quote]

Joyful,

Look for orders that share your personal charism or whose charism you feel called to. then speak to the Vocation Directress or the superior about your illness. that way you do not find yourself surprised in the end.

God Bless and good luck on your search for a community.
D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.