Religious orders with "lay orders" or "third orders"?

Hello,

I have heard that some religious orders have something called "third orders" which are designed for the laity. Can someone help to understand this process, how it works, what it means, etc? Also, particular orders who do this would be helpful as well.

I have been looking into Opus Dei as I am attracted to the spirituality as well as the opportunities for continued formation in the Faith. However, as a relatively new convert to the Church, I am not entirely aware what else is out there for the laity in terms of involvement and formation.

Thank you very much in advance!

Peace of Christ,

Jason

Go onto your Diocese web site. It will have all of the information about third orders that are available in your area. It will also have all of the links for you to view at your leisure. Good luck and God Bless

[quote="GRATEFULONEjim, post:2, topic:243603"]
Go onto your Diocese web site. It will have all of the information about third orders that are available in your area. It will also have all of the links for you to view at your leisure. Good luck and God Bless

[/quote]

Thanks, i'll do that. Does anyone have information on what they are and do? How they work, etc?

I appreciate the help!

This "sticky" addresses the different Third/Secular Orders and Oblates:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=179983

[quote="FCEGM, post:4, topic:243603"]
This "sticky" addresses the different Third/Secular Orders and Oblates:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=179983

[/quote]

Thank you!

So what is the difference between Lay/Third Orders, Oblates, and Confraternities/Archconfraternities?

[quote="jwinch2, post:6, topic:243603"]
So what is the difference between Lay/Third Orders, Oblates, and Confraternities/Archconfraternities?

[/quote]

Third Orders are usually attached to an entire order (for example the Franciscans, 1st order=priests/brothers, 2nd order=nuns, 3rd order=lay people)

Oblates are attached to a specific monastery (at least the Benedictine ones). They are considered to be part of the monastery.

Confraternities are essentially "Third Orders" for orders that started them after the Church stopped allowing new Third Orders (IIRC)

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:7, topic:243603"]
Third Orders are usually attached to an entire order (for example the Franciscans, 1st order=priests/brothers, 2nd order=nuns, 3rd order=lay people)

Oblates are attached to a specific monastery (at least the Benedictine ones). They are considered to be part of the monastery.

Confraternities are essentially "Third Orders" for orders that started them after the Church stopped allowing new Third Orders (IIRC)

[/quote]

Thank you,

Peace of Christ.

Jason

[quote="jwinch2, post:8, topic:243603"]
Thank you,

Peace of Christ.

Jason

[/quote]

Another wrinkle: diocesan priests and priests who do not belong to an Order of the Church may become members of the Secular Discalced Carmelites; Bl. John Paul II was a Secular Discalced Carmelite.

also see active thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=565642

The first post by Brother JR will answer some of these questions. I would strongly recommend him as an expert on the subject.

Peace

[quote="FCEGM, post:9, topic:243603"]
Another wrinkle: diocesan priests and priests who do not belong to an Order of the Church may become members of the Secular Discalced Carmelites; Bl. John Paul II was a Secular Discalced Carmelite.

[/quote]

Interesting.

I have felt a bit of a call to get involved in some way that also allows for continued formation and was initially looking at Opus Dei (and I still am), but I just found out about lay orders and it just so happens that the parish I will be moving to in a couple of months has a lay order of Dominicans which also appeals to me.

I need to spend some time in prayer, reading, and discernment. I ordered a book that contains The way, Furrow, and the The Forge by St. Josemaria Escriva in one book and am looking forward to diving into that which should also help in my discernment.

Lots to learn and to think about!

Peace,

[quote="FCEGM, post:9, topic:243603"]

[/quote]

I did not know this. Thank you. :)

May I ask if BXVI is a member of any third order?

[quote="jwinch2, post:11, topic:243603"]
Interesting.

I have felt a bit of a call to get involved in some way that also allows for continued formation and was initially looking at Opus Dei (and I still am), but I just found out about lay orders and it just so happens that the parish I will be moving to in a couple of months has a lay order of Dominicans which also appeals to me.

I need to spend some time in prayer, reading, and discernment. I ordered a book that contains The way, Furrow, and the The Forge by St. Josemaria Escriva in one book and am looking forward to diving into that which should also help in my discernment.

Lots to learn and to think about!

Peace,

[/quote]

Excellent books (the 3 by St Josemaria)

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:13, topic:243603"]
Excellent books (the 3 by St Josemaria)

[/quote]

I'm looking forward to them.

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:12, topic:243603"]
I did not know this. Thank you. :)

May I ask if BXVI is a member of any third order?

[/quote]

I don't think he is, Luigi.

[quote="FCEGM, post:15, topic:243603"]
I don't think he is, Luigi.

[/quote]

However, I believe that Bld. Pius IX, Leo XIII, St. Pius V, Benedict XV, Ven. Pius XII, Bld. John XXIII, and Paul VI (at the very least, the first two Pontiffs whom I mentioned) were Secular Franciscans. And so were a number of prominent churchmen, including Archbishop Sheen.

[quote="Young_Thinker, post:16, topic:243603"]
However, I believe that Bld. Pius IX, Leo XIII, St. Pius V, Benedict XV, Ven. Pius XII, Bld. John XXIII, and Paul VI (at the very least, the first two Pontiffs whom I mentioned) were Secular Franciscans. And so were a number of prominent churchmen, including Archbishop Sheen.

[/quote]

I knew about St. Pius V being a Secular Franciscan, but not about the others - thanks! :)

[quote="FCEGM, post:17, topic:243603"]
I knew about St. Pius V being a Secular Franciscan, but not about the others - thanks! :)

[/quote]

You are welcome.

Pope St. Pius V was a Dominican friar, therefore he could not also have been a Secular Franciscan.

Blessed Innocent V, Blessed Benedict XI and Benedict XIII were also Dominicans, before you try to claim any of them :D

[quote="Batfink, post:19, topic:243603"]
Pope St. Pius V was a Dominican friar, therefore he could not also have been a Secular Franciscan.

Blessed Innocent V, Blessed Benedict XI and Benedict XIII were also Dominicans, before you try to claim any of them :D

[/quote]

I think that she meant St. Pius X!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.