Religious orders with the Latin Mass

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows about orders (for women) that have the Latin Mass.. are they all cloistered, or are some of them not cloistered? It's kind of a specific question but I thought maybe someone would know.

thank you :)

First a question. Ordinary Form of the Mass in Latin or the Extraordinary Form?

Though the answer does not really matter.

I believe it is hard to find a religious institute of women who only have the EF or even the OF in Latin as they must rely on priests to come and preside at the Mass for them. They are sort of “stuck” with what they can get.

[quote="Monica4316, post:1, topic:259154"]
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows about orders (for women) that have the Latin Mass.. are they all cloistered, or are some of them not cloistered? It's kind of a specific question but I thought maybe someone would know.

thank you :)

[/quote]

Are you a young woman, or are you older?

I can think of two religious Orders that have the Latin Mass (I presume you mean the Extraordinary Form). The first is the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles. They are in Missouri. The second is the community affiliated with the Institute of Christ The King, Sovereign Priest-I know part of their name, the 'Royal Adorers', but the rest of it escapes me right now. Their motherhouse is in Italy, but I think they are trying to have a house set up here in the USA.

The Benedictines of Mary are cloistered, and the Royal Adorers are semi-cloistered.

Best bet is to find out about them on the Institute For Religious Life website:

religiouslife.com

[quote="ByzCath, post:2, topic:259154"]

I believe it is hard to find a religious institute of women who only have the EF or even the OF in Latin as they must rely on priests to come and preside at the Mass for them. They are sort of "stuck" with what they can get.

[/quote]

I just gave the OP two possibilities: the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles, and the Royal Adorers. They have priests from the Fraternity of St. Peter, the Fathers of Mercy, and the Institute of Christ The King, Sovereign Priest to say the EF Mass for them (by the way, please don't use the word 'preside' when it comes to the EF Mass. Use instead, 'celebrate' or better yet, 'offer'. 'Preside' is a NO term. And I'm not being rude in telling you this).

I was unaware that the Fathers of Mercy celebrate the EF.

By the way (and I am not being rude is telling you this) preside and celebrate are interchangeable terms. As everyone at Mass is celebrating, presiding is the leading of that celebration.

[quote="ByzCath, post:2, topic:259154"]

[/quote]

the Extraordinary Form

I believe it is hard to find a religious institute of women who only have the EF or even the OF in Latin as they must rely on priests to come and preside at the Mass for them. They are sort of "stuck" with what they can get.

they might be more rare, but I have heard that they exist.. I just don't know if all of them are cloistered or if they vary

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:3, topic:259154"]
Are you a young woman, or are you older?

[/quote]

I'm in my 20s

I can think of two religious Orders that have the Latin Mass (I presume you mean the Extraordinary Form). The first is the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles. They are in Missouri. The second is the community affiliated with the Institute of Christ The King, Sovereign Priest-I know part of their name, the 'Royal Adorers', but the rest of it escapes me right now. Their motherhouse is in Italy, but I think they are trying to have a house set up here in the USA.

The Benedictines of Mary are cloistered, and the Royal Adorers are semi-cloistered.

Best bet is to find out about them on the Institute For Religious Life website:

religiouslife.com

thank you :) what does semi-cloistered mean?

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:4, topic:259154"]
I just gave the OP two possibilities: the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles, and the Royal Adorers. They have priests from the Fraternity of St. Peter, the Fathers of Mercy, and the Institute of Christ The King, Sovereign Priest to say the EF Mass for them (by the way, please don't use the word 'preside' when it comes to the EF Mass. Use instead, 'celebrate' or better yet, 'offer'. 'Preside' is a NO term. And I'm not being rude in telling you this).

[/quote]

I was told that there is a Franciscan order as well, I think... and some are affiliated with the FSSP

These are the orders I am aware of that have the Latin Mass:

Carmelites of Cristo Rey (not exclusive to the Latin Mass)

Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles

Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate (still waiting for approval of the TLM in the US, but it is available in Europe)

Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (this branch is obedient to Pope Benedict XVI)

Continuing with the above post, this is the website for the Sisters of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Sisters of the St. Benedict Center

Also, I’m adding these:

Carmelites of Valparaiso, NE

Carmelites of Elysburg, PA

Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church (split from CMRI a few years ago; unsure if they have the Latin Mass; must contact to check)

Benedictines of Our Lady of the Rock

Benedictine Abbey of Regina Laudis

Benedictine Abbey of St. Walburga

Benedictine Monastery of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Do these traditional orders have lay members?

The only one I know of that does are the Franciscans of the Immaculate. However, as I stated before, they are still waiting for the opportunity to offer the TLM in the United States. As of right now, the European communities are the only ones with permission. :slight_smile:

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:10, topic:259154"]
The only one I know of that does are the Franciscans of the Immaculate. However, as I stated before, they are still waiting for the opportunity to offer the TLM in the United States. As of right now, the European communities are the only ones with permission. :)

[/quote]

Thank you.

Actually, I take what I said above back. I realized that the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary have a third order available to the laity:

Third Order Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Also, the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest has a lay association:

Society of the Sacred Heart

There are the Benedictine Oblates of Our Lady of the Rock attached to the monastery listed above.

There is also the Benedictine Oblates of the Abbey of St. Walburga.

I hope this helps. :wink:

DaughterofMary, thank you for providing a more complete list of Orders. I could only remember the Benedictines of Mary and the Royal Adorers of the Heart of Jesus (thanks also for knowing 'of the Heart of Jesus'....for some reason I couldn't...I must be losing my mind :p ).

Monica, 'semi-cloistered' means that the nuns have an outside apostolate in addition to their prayer life in the cloister. For instance, the Royal Adorers of the Heart of Jesus want eventually to do teaching work along with assisting the ICKSP priests. They're a new community as of 2004, so it's a matter of 'feeling their way around.'

Another example of an 'older' Order having a semi-cloistered life is the Visitation, founded by St. Francis de Sales and St. Jeanne de Chantal. Some of their monasteries live just the enclosed life, while others also have schools.

I know that the Benedictines of Mary have a Father of Mercy chaplain, but I don’t know if he is the only one who offers the EF Mass. I met Father Wade Menezes at a mission which he did in my hometown last week; he’s also of the Fathers of Mercy, and appears frequently on EWTN. He told me that he is learning how to say the EF Mass, so maybe all the Fathers of Mercy are going to learn as well.

It helps a lot. I’m excited!

But I have a question. I thought lay associations were only for “Orders”. Isn’t the Institute of Christ the King a Secular order of Apostolic life?

I guess I’m totally confused.

Cynthia Smith

Thank you!

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:13, topic:259154"]
DaughterofMary, thank you for providing a more complete list of Orders. I could only remember the Benedictines of Mary and the Royal Adorers of the Heart of Jesus (thanks also for knowing 'of the Heart of Jesus'....for some reason I couldn't...I must be losing my mind :p ).

Monica, 'semi-cloistered' means that the nuns have an outside apostolate in addition to their prayer life in the cloister. For instance, the Royal Adorers of the Heart of Jesus want eventually to do teaching work along with assisting the ICKSP priests. They're a new community as of 2004, so it's a matter of 'feeling their way around.'

Another example of an 'older' Order having a semi-cloistered life is the Visitation, founded by St. Francis de Sales and St. Jeanne de Chantal. Some of their monasteries live just the enclosed life, while others also have schools.

[/quote]

[quote="TrueLight, post:16, topic:259154"]
Thank you!

[/quote]

You are both welcome! :)

Thank you, that is very very helpful! :smiley:

Thanks for the information.

This appears to be a shift within the Fathers of Mercy or a different view point of the vocations director at the time I was discerning.

They, the Fathers of Mercy, where high on my list until the vocation director told me that their focus is not on the Liturgy but on the Mission. In my mind the Mission comes from the Liturgy. After that meeting with the vocation director they feel off of my list.

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:8, topic:259154"]
...Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church (split from CMRI a few years ago; unsure if they have the Latin Mass; must contact to check)...

[/quote]

As far as I know, the Sisters of Mary have the EF, but they do switch off with the OF.

It's the same with Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa, which was founded by two Sisters of Mary. There are also teaching(?) sisters associated with this FSSP parish. I think they're called the Carmelite Sisters of the Transfiguration. Not much can be found about them online but it couldn't hurt to contact the parish if one wants more info. The latter two are both very new but also two of the few active communities that have the EF at all - most of the communities that have it exclusively are cloistered. I may have read somewhere that the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal occasionally have it as well, but it's also possible my brain is just playing tricks on me. :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.