religious orders

I’ve see Franciscans, Dominicans and Benedictines who belong to the Eastern Rites. This is like mixing two cultures, the Eastern and Western. In the East I don’t even think you have what we call religious orders. What is it that you have and why do some of the Eastern Catholic belong to Western orders?

There are many. Look at the Giga-Catholic site.

:confused:

Our Brother David, who is a Carmelite Byzantine would be a good person to ask about this.

But as for the Melkites, there exists the Basilian and Salvatorian Orders. They follow a monastic rule according to Saint Basil the Great. Recently there has been an effort on the part of some jurisdictions to move away from orders and return to the individual monastery system of the east before re-union with Rome. The Ukrainians have Mount Tabor Monastery in Ukiah, CA which is not affiliated with any order as far as I am aware, and the Holy Ressurection Monastery of the Romanian Church in the US is also unaffiliated.

Sorry, here are a couple of links. The first is Giga-Catholic.

gcatholic.com/orders/index.htm

catholic-hierarchy.org/country/xrel.html

Maronite:
Lebanese Maronite Order (Baladites) O.L.M. established 1695
Mariamite Maronite Order (Aleppians) O.M.M. established 1695
Antonin Maronite Order O.A.M. established 1700
Congregation of the Lebanese Maronite Missionaries L.M. established 1865

Melkite:
Basilian Salvatorian Order B.S. established 1684
Basilian Alepian Order B.A. established 1697
Basilian Chouerite Order of Saint John the Baptist B.C. established 1697
Society of Missionaries of Saint Paul M.S.P.

Armenian:
Benedictine Congregation of the Mechitarists C.A.M. (Mechitarists) established 1701
Patriarchal Clergy Institute of Bzommar I.C.P.B. established 1749

Syro-Malabar:
Carmelites of Mary Immaculate C.M.I. established 1855
Vincentian Congregation C.V. established 1927
Congregation of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus “Little Flower” C.S.T. established 1931
Missionary Congregation of the Blessed Sacrament M.C.B.S. established 1933
Missionary Society of Saint Thomas the Apostle M.S.T. established 1968

Syro-Malankara:
Order of Imitation of Christ O.I.C established 1919

Ukrainian:
Ukrainian Studite Monks M.S.U. established 1900

I am a Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic. I have entered the Order of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, also known as the Carmelites.

I did so for many reasons, the most important one to me was that while I felt called to community life I also felt a call to being active. There really is not much choice for religious life in the Byzantine Catholic Churches in the United States, just a couple of monasteries but I do not feel called to the monastic life.

Through discernment with my spiritual father and other priests that I trust, I discerned that I was to enter formation with the Carmelties. As any one in formation knows, the discernment is on going through the formation process. I am five and a half years into that process and only God knows where it will end up, but God Willing I will be eligible to make solemn vows in just over a year.

Is this what you were asking for?

Out of curiosity, how does that work for you being that you are from the Eastern Rite and my understanding of Carmelites are from the Western Rite? Are you able to be in a place where you can participate in the Divine Liturgy or do you attend Mass in the Roman Rite?

Thanks,

In actual fact, Orthodox monastic communities may follow different monastic Rules established by different monastic Fathers. It is just that they are locally organized and do not call themselves after the Fathers who established the Rules.

The Benedictine Rule is recognized among the monastic Rules in the Orthodox Church. But Orthodox monks following it would not call themselves “Benedictines” and the term “Basilian” is foreign to the East, even though the Rules of St Basil are the most popular.

The Carmelite Rule is simply an eremitical one, meaning that they were hermits and the original “Carmelites” were Greek monks (preceded by the Jewish hermits living on Mt Carmel in the footsteps of Sts Elias and Eliseus). There is no reason why an Orthodox monastic community could not follow the spirit of Carmelt’s eremitical way of life based on, for example, the Antonian or Pachomian monastic models.

In the Ukrainian Catholic Church, the Basilian Fathers have tended to be the most prominent force for Latinization, in history and today (unfortunately). Although not all.

Orders like the Redemptorists have organized Houses in the Eastern Church and were encouraged in their particular work, especially during times of upheaval. Metropolitan Andrew Sheptytsky, for example, saw real value in their work. Bl. Basil Velichkovsky, Bl. Nicholas Charnetsky and the Servant of God Archbishop Volodymyr Sterniuk were Redemptorists.

At the same time, I don’t see any reason why EC Religious Orders, based on the Latin model, should feel an obligation to get rid of their organization, even though it is based on a Western monastic ideal.

Alex

I pray the Liturgy of the Hours and have daily Mass in the Roman Rite. On weekends and times outside of community I am free to go to a Byzantine parish.

Private prayer is what I make it.

Interesting. Thanks!

Norbertines, Premonstratensians, est. 1120 A.D.

“As the spirituality of the Resurrection of Christ is central to the Norbertine tradition, our monastery community feels called to transmit the Eastern Church’s spirituality of the Resurrection to the men and women of the West.”

stiftgeras.at/en/kapelle.html

gcatholic.com/orders/046.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.