Religious orders

Which religious orders (whom are not known as a traditionalist group) uses the EF?

Most of them can, although in some cases they have to have approval to do so from their Superior. The Franciscans of the Immaculate do the EF from time to time. Dominicans either do the OF, the EF, or their own Rite.

So at this time there is non that does it (for example) weekly?

I’m not sure about the conditional specified in your brackets…

But the Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer are a traditionalist congregation who only use the Tridentine Mass(and I believe the Superior is bi-ritual and can celebrate the Ukranian Rite).

The Benedictines of Norcia also only offer the Tridentine Mas, though I believe they occasionally offer the NO Mass too.

God Bless.

edit: just understood what the brackets meant, sorry, my information may not be all that helpful.

I am not aware of any religious order that exclusively uses the EF, after all that is not part of their charisms.

There are religious groups (congregations/societies of apostolic life) that do but their focus is different than the orders.

It all depends on the Superior/Guardian/whoever is in charge at the time. I’m sure there are some that do, but it will vary. But that’s just one household or Priory which would do that, not an entire Order.

Thanks guys…

And nice to see your back NewsTheMan :slight_smile:

Hey, just to add.

The Dominicans, Carmelites, and Benedictines and a few other orders have their own rite of the Mass as well :slight_smile: (I suppose you could say EF, though I don’t know if it is proper)

The Dominicans are trying to restore the use of this Rite, and many Dominican Priests do offer it! It’s BEAUTIFUL! See more here

I’m hoping they offer it at the Priory where my formation will be, it’d be nice to see go to it every once in awhile!

+JMJ

Men or women?

For women, all I have been able to find who are more active orders are: The Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Still River, Mass. and the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate. The Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church do love the EF, but are unable to have it celebrated regularly due to what the Bishop is currently asking of their order. There are quite a few contemplative women’s orders who hold a strong love to the EF.

As for men’s orders, I don’t really know. However, the Franciscans of the Immaculate are phenomenal. They are at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in LaCrosse, Wis., and what a joy it is to have them! They celebrate the EF every Sunday at the Shrine.

The Benedictine monks (Solesmes congregation) of Clear Creek abbey in the western US celebrate the EF exclusively. So too do the monks of Fontgombault abbey in France, also of the Solesmes congregation. Le Barroux also, in France as well.

Of course, this isn’t an entire order, as Benedictine abbeys enjoy quite a bit of latitude, but there are abbeys that use the EF exclusively.

I’m not sure what you mean “whom are not known as a Traditionalist group?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.