Religious Orders

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone can share their own experience living life as a brother such as franciscans / benedictines etc. How to know if its for you, why you do it etc.

My experience was a couple of decades ago, but I was in formation with the OFMs for 6 years.

Franciscans are quite "manly" in the good sense.

In some ways it was like living in a university dorm. Having to get to know people, and get along with them.

I had a lot of fun. I prayed a lot. I studied a lot. I cut a lot of firewood in novitiate, and did a lot of painting on a construction project in pre-novitiate..

Obedience was probably the hardest thing for me. I was in my early 20's and had just finished a Law degree and thought I was pretty hot stuff!

I met a bunch of Franciscans from different "provinces" at St. Bonaventure University (New York State) in the Masters Of Franciscan Studies program. Like I said - manly men! But very devout and prayerful too.

Go to a vocation retreat and see for yourself.

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.