Religious Priests?

Hi,
I feel I may have a vocation to priesthood. I have one problem though, I don’t like the thought of living alone as a parish Priest, it seems very lonely, but also I don’t know if being a Priest in a religious order which isn’t, as it were, the principle authority in a Parish appeals to me either.

Basically what I’m wondering is; Is there any way of becoming a Parish Priest, but living in community?

Thanks and God bless :slight_smile:

Not all parishes have just one priest. In fact, most of the parishes I’ve been to in my life have multiple priests, who all live in the rectory together. So, the pastor isn’t alone.

A lot of parishes today are being “yoked”, where several parishes share a small pool of priests. To save costs, the priests often live in only one rectory, while they rent out the rectories of the other parishes to generate some revenue. Loneliness is still however a problem that many priests face, and you must be realistic about this.

Your diocese likely has a Vocation’s Director who could help you discern God’s plan for you.

You may want to look at being a priest for something know as Societies of Apostolic Life. These are communities of priest which look after parishes in a diocese. My own parish has a priest from the Society of the Catholic Apostolate also know as the Pallottines, and I have also met priests from the Companions of the Cross (companionscross.org). From what I have talked to them about, their life style seems to be the direction you are discerning.

Living in Ireland, I haven't heard of priests living together in a rectory before. But I will look into it, thanks!

[quote="Marchelli, post:4, topic:340596"]
You may want to look at being a priest for something know as Societies of Apostolic Life. These are communities of priest which look after parishes in a diocese. My own parish has a priest from the Society of the Catholic Apostolate also know as the Pallottines, and I have also met priests from the Companions of the Cross (companionscross.org). From what I have talked to them about, their life style seems to be the direction you are discerning.

[/quote]

Thank you for your reply, I am going to look into societies of apostolic life! :)

There are several communities that focus on parishes like the Companions of the Cross (already mentioned). Many other missionary orders end up as parish priests but in foreign lands. My community, the Legionaries of Christ, and many others have a few parishes but that is not the focus of the apostolate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.