Religious song by Sarah McLachlan

I was browsing itunes last night and I saw that Sarah McLachlan has a new album out (well, not really new songs, just live and rare songs). I really enjoy her music and was very suprised to see a song on this albums called The Prayer of St. Francis. It’s such a beautiful song. You should check it out.

In a way, I’m not surprised. She is a spokesperson for animal welfare. Way to go, Sarah!

Oh… I just HAVE to hear that in her beautiful voice!

Love that song. I’m a Sarah fan, mostly her older stuff.

You may also want to check out Loreena McKennitt. I love her stuff also. Especially ‘The Dark Night of the Soul’ and ‘Dante’s Prayer’. Dante’s Prayer may be my favorite song by her. Good good stuff. :thumbsup: She actually used the words of St. John of the Cross in ‘The Dark Night of the Soul’. :thumbsup:

I can’t get to YouTube when I’m in the office (it’s blocked) but go out there and do a search, sometimes you can find the song in someone’s video or even her doing it live.

~Liza

This is where I heard it:
worlddreamspeacebridge.org/stfrancis.htm

I was surprised when listening to it that none of the words were changed, or I should say certain words omitted (as in Lord ect). I’ve heard songs based on religious prayers or scripture where the artists didn’t actually include the lines about God. One that comes to mind, though i can’t be certain it’s been a while since I listened to the song, is How Can I Keep From Singing by Enya. It’s based on a Christian hymn, but some lyrics i believe have been changed. I still love the song though.
This one by Sarah though reminds me of U2’s song 40 (based on Psalm 40). That song is just awsome.

I have not been able to stomach Sarah McLachlan ever since I found out she supports “abortion rights”. ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_for_Choice )

I don’t mean to be a wet blanket… I just personally would not financially support her.

Yes, I suppose only the animals are worth saving.:frowning:

It’s also important to remember though, that the last rock for choice concert was in 2001. Conversions happen. I’m not saying it has happened for anyone on that web page, I’m just saying it could have happen.

Animal rights are very important as well, and I applaud her for supporting it:thumbsup:

But if she defends animal rights at the same time as advocating the killing of the human unborn, that is nothing to applaud. I love her voice, not her politics.

Her ASPCA commercial always makes me cry.

Yeah, i’s not new. It was actually used in an episode of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” I have a copy of the song, but for the life of me I can’t remember the episode. I want to say it was during a last season episode-- but I’m not sure.

Thank you so much, I was thinking the same thing. I once sent an email to PETA asking their stance on abortion, and since they are against animal testing, are they against testing on aborted fetuses? The answer I got was the respect all living things… The rest was pretty vague.

According to Rock For Life, she is still all for it.

rockforlife.org/music_proabortionbands.php#s

For me, life is a wonderful song with a lovely melody and the lyrics on it is my life. Just like the music of Kim Clement, I can hear Gods words through the soothing sounds that gave me the inner peace that I wanted. I can say he is a modern Prophet. Check on this site: kimclement.com/?menu=5&tab=about , and be captured by its melody of life.

:thumbsup:

The ultimate irony about her stance on abortion isn’t her support for animal rights but the fact that she was adopted.

As much as I dislike Sinead O’Connor (for various reasons) I prefer her version of Prayer to St. Francis youtube.com/watch?v=0ScEQudh9as some of you have already heard this version already I hope you all can hear it. I’m surprise that Sarah McLachlan sings religious songs, b/c I saw her name listed among celebrities that are free thinkers, agnostics and atheists.

Guys, a modern prophet is here and is singing a very soul music to inspire every hearts. KIM CLEMENT, must I say has a soft sound and its like hearing a heaven’s voice. A perfect music for ones who are having mediations and soul searching. Its very relaxing and rejoicing. Click here to experience inner peace that everyone wanted, like I did. Kim Clement

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.