Religious Tolerance

I am not a Catholic. I am a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Before I begin, I should say that I have not come here to consider joining Catholicism, nor have I come to find reasons to be anti-Catholic. Please don’t attempt to convince me of my fault. You’d be wasting your time. I know that my church is true.

In visiting this website, I have been sorely dissapointed in the quality of articles and posts concerning the church I belong to. Not only are the posts extremely anti-Mormon and disrespectful, many of the facts presented in opposition to my church are downright untrue.

The user agreement for the forum registration says this: “Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board.” I also noticed a great amount of emphasis on the evils of anti-Catholic literature. Our church feels the same about any literature with the intent of undermining the beliefs of others. We are strong believers in religious tolerance. However, I would expect that you would treat other religions with the same respect.

Please, check your sources. If you want to know about mormonism, you talk to a Mormon or read official Mormon literature. If you want to know about Catholicism, you talk to a Catholic or read official Catholic literature. If you want to know about Catholicism, you talk to a Catholic or read official Catholic literature.

If you would like, I would be more than willing to help you keep your content true by reading your statements about our church and pointing out false statements.

I think you would agree the world as a whole would benefit from a greater amount of religious tolerance.

• Stephen Sorensen

Dear Stephen

You make a good point. I have been flippant and inconsiderate of Mormons in statements I have made about Mormonism. I will rectify the offensive statements. I have used Mormon sources, but will correct any inaccuracies I find.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.