Religious trends and our religious future [UK]

Amen to that! :thumbsup:

Exactly, very well said.

Good grief, not only are Americans demanding that we give up our cherished, hand-crafted, high-style input paranoias to make way for their Coca-Cola culture, high cholesterol, super-sized paranoias, now we have to give up our chic, svelte, cat-walk glider hamsters!

No one said Muslims cannot eat dinner and chit chat. Their theology is wedded to their governments around the world and represses Christian expression. You and Kaninchen can have a nice glass of wine together while the good news is suppressed through force across millions of miles and millions of people, while a doctrine that denies the Good News is promulgated officially by their governments.

Hope it tastes good going down as your brothers and sisters live in fear of speaking what the Holy Spirit inspires them to speak: Jesus is Lord.

Have you thought this through? The oppressed Christian minorities, the people who are Islamic in name only, those who would convert but cannot out of fear, all those are oppressed around the world of Islam.

That oppression takes the form of rape being treated lightly, dehumanization of women, oppression of religous thought and on and on. These people did not CHOOSE to live under Islamic tyranny. They were born under a government that PREVENTS them to hear the Good News.

But hey, you can share a glass over dinner with Kaninchen. That makes all the Islamic State oppression just a-ok.

And yes, that IS middle of the road Islam, not extremist. The extremist will just kill you like they did to that Dutch film maker.

The differences between Islam and Christianity are not like saying you prefer chicken over steak. Only one has the fullness of the Truth. Where the other lacks that fullness of truth, you have lies. Think about it. Religous indifference is a sin against the crucified Christ.

Yes, that is a very good point. I tend to be pessimistic but the numbers don’t seem to be terribly concerning.

No, you are the one who brought up the issue of declining religious observance in Britain. It does not fall to me to verify your claim.

Actually, I find it amusing. If I was getting cross or annoyed with you, I wouldn’t continue this discussion. And what’s this about Muslims taking over the whole world? That is not something that I take very seriously.

You don’t have to agree with the author of the article under discussion but you can add value by doing more than using sarcasm to disagree with it. But you don’t want to and that’s fine.

Agreed.

*And when they finally came to get me there was no one left to say anything. *

We cannot claim rights for ourselves that we are not ready to grant to those who disagree with us.

Err? The author of the article was the one who brought it up - “a time of prolonged decline in church attendance that seems likely to continue.”

It does not fall to me to verify your claim.

Only in instances like this when you make up what what it is that I’m supposed to be claiming.

You don’t have to agree with the author of the article under discussion but you can add value by doing more than using sarcasm to disagree with it. But you don’t want to and that’s fine.

Better luck next time.

It is not religious indifference. It is religious tolerance. Just because one has the fullness of truth doesn’t mean I have the right to force it on them any more than they have the right ot force theirs on us. But their culture was there first. We have every right to defend our borders and protect our democracy here but not to force it upon others. Any conversion, be it to a religion or a political system, must be freely chosen. A militarily enforced democracy is no democracy at all. And please don’t lump me in with certain other posters. I can do without the insults.

Equal under the law but not more than Equal? I’m not ready to pay tax for being a Christian as our brothers and sisters have to do all across the Islamic world. But hey its not in your country, so who cares? When they finally came to get me . . .

worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55417

If I insullted you (I don’t see it) I apologize. It seems to me a case of religous indifference if we “tolerate” lies, oppression and do not speak out about it. There are many actions between doing nothing and violent regime change.

Now there is my point. We should have toppled Hussein without sending our men in there to do it. Remember Reagan sending military equipment down to Central America. I believe we held off the Contras without one loss of US life. Why did we choose the violent method in Iraq? Or Vietnam for that matter? We didn’t know the terrain and failed. We would have done better funneling in the equipment and let the locals do the action for themselves.

Yes, it does say that church attendance is declining. It does not say that Islamic observance is on the decline. In fact, the article seems to be claiming that conservative Islam is gaining ground in Britain, often assisted by the government. You clearly state that attendance at any kind of religious service is in decline, which includes Islam. If the author of this article felt that Islam was also in a decline, I doubt he would be complaining about the rise of Islam in Britain.

No, I have made nothing up. You stated that attendance at any kind of religious service is on the decline. The article does not make that claim. It makes the claim that Islam is gaining ground while attendance at Christian services is declining.

Anybody been to England lately? Religion (except Islam) has pretty much vanished from England, and with it morality. In every city on Friday night you see mobs of 13-17 year old drunkards staggering out of pubs, Lots of them find their fun afterwards in mugging any elderly person stupid enough to leave the house after dark. Or they steal or destroy. Huge numbers of teenage girls have had babies and are being supported by the state. It’s no longer unusual to meet a woman with four children, all by different fathers. The resulting children are even more violent and more emotionally broken then the mothers. It’s a society lost, crazy, angry.

The only possible way to save it would be religion and that’s the solution nobody will talk about.

God bless, Annem

I recently moved away from England. I find here are two types of Englander, those that have left, and those that want to leave. I dont know anyone who wants to live there anymore. The social decay is unbelievable, and I cant see it getting any better before it gets any worse. You only need to pick up your nearest newspaper for proof of this.

Bresinain:

I find here are two types of Englander, those that have left, and those that want to leave. I don`t know anyone who wants to live there anymore. The social decay is unbelievable,

You are so right, it’s tragic what’s happened.

I am so sorry you had to leave. I recall reading recently that for the first time, there were more people leaving England than coming in, What do you think will happen? Do you see any hope for a revival?

The strangest thing is that nobody will talk about the moral rot. It practically hits you in the face, yet nobody will talk about it.

Cities are no longer safe, crime is everywhere, and it’s no longer safe to even park a car most places. The young have turned feral. Huge numbers of them no longer even attempt to get a job. Instead they are into binge drinking and random sex and violence.

At core, these are all moral problems and can only be changed by admitting that these things are wrong.

Please, I’d love to hear what you think.

God bless you, Annem

Well although I am British I only was staying in London for a year. I have since moved back to Canada. But during my stay there I could not believe how bad things were.

My brother always talks about a return of a Catholic King to England, but with Charles and William next in line, I believe that is wishful thinking.

I never really felt safe in London, especially at night. Taking a night bus home was intimidating to say the least. As you pointed out drunken yobbery is the norm. But as you say, nobody talks about the real problems. Getting a job is fruitless at best, most salaries hardly pay the council tax on a house. There were six of us living in a three bedroom house (outside London) and we couldnl`t make ends meet.

It has gotten so bad now that the very mention of any problems with the society gets you drawn looks. Nobody wants to talk about it, they just want to pretend everything is okay. My greatest fear is that this is a preview of what could happen here in North America. I pray to God it will not happen. But it appears most of Europe is headed down this path. Unfortunately I have no real solutions to offer.

As I said, better luck next time.

Well, I’m not English (and what’s an ‘Englander’ -outside Germany?) but that’s arrant nonsense.

I dont know anyone who wants to live there anymore. The social decay is unbelievable, and I cant see it getting any better before it gets any worse. You only need to pick up your nearest newspaper for proof of this.

Usually the Daily Mail, I’m sure.

People aren’t leaving because of “moral rot”, they’re cashing in their homes and retiring to the sun - like a lot of northern Europeans.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.