Religious vows!

Ave maria!

Since the new code of canon law never mentioned solemn and simple vows except saying"it is solemn if it is recognised by the church as such;otherwise it is simple"can.1192,s2.Every other thing said about vows in the new code is either temporal or perpetual.

So, now i want to know the difference between those institutes the church recognised their vows to be solemn and those they didnt.
Every help will be appreciated,thanks.

All for Jesus through the Immaculate.
Ave maria!

I think this link may help you:

ihmdaughters.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-is-difference-between-solemn-vow.html

God bless!

Ave maria!

Thanks classica87,
I know it is recognised as such by the church, but since there is no longer canonical effects;

What will be the benefit(spiritual) of solemn vows over simple vows? And

What is the reason why the church will recognise/grant solemn vows in some institute while it will not in some,since there is no longer canonical effects on both?

All for jesus through the immaculate,
Ave maria!

To be honest, I can’t really answer your question. I believe it has something to do with the type of order (active or contemplative). Cloistered, contemplative orders usually take solemn vows vs. the simple vows active orders take. I think solemn vows are more binding than simple ones, so that might explain why the Church only grants solemn vows in some communities. For example, it would be very hard, and in some cases impossible, for an active community to observe the strict poverty of some contemplative communities.

Have you tried asking an apologist here on CAF?

God bless.

Ave maria!

Thanks again for the reply,
I have asked an apologist but no response and have made many researches but no satisfying answer everything I have done is to no avail;to an extent,I even bought the code of canon law but it resulted to more question.
Perhaps you can join me in my search and any result you get,you post so that I can also learn.

All for Jesus through the immaculate
Ave maria!

The following is a quote from Brother JR.

He is probably your best bet at getting an accurate response. The only thing mentioned in this that I know about solemn vows is who can release a person from solemn vows. It is my understanding that only the Vatican can release a person from solemn vows. That isn’t the case for simple vows. Solemn vows are reserved primarily for the “older” Orders and other Orders at the discretion of the Vatican. My personal take on why this is done this way is that they probably don’t EVERY single case of someone being release from their vows having to be handled by them. They allow the original order to continue using them for historical reasons, but don’t permit it for most newer groups.

Ave maria!

Pertaining dispensation of vows;both solemn and perpetually/finally professed simple vows are reserved to the holy see for dispensation,you see both require the holy see for dispensation.Solemn vows are not only recognised in religious orders alone, some institutes established after the Lateran council are permitted to make solemn vows.

What am actually asking is that why is that the church will permit/recognise some institute with solemn vow while others are not whereas the canonical effect of solemn vows over simple vows has been suppressed?can.1192; s2.

Ave maria!

[quote="chryso, post:7, topic:328548"]

What am actually asking is that why is that the church will permit/recognise some institute with solemn vow while others are not whereas the canonical effect of solemn vows over simple vows has been suppressed?can.1192; s2.

Ave maria!

[/quote]

I think you should ask Brother JR directly through personal message. He tends to know a lot about the technicalities of religious life. He has been sick and/or offline a lot lately so it may take him a little time to respond.

Ave maria!

Thanks and God bless for replying,
I sent him a PM about last two weeks but he’s yet to reply.But it seems the topic is ambigous or will i say difficult and broad.

Ave maria!

[quote="Marauder, post:8, topic:328548"]
I think you should ask Brother JR directly through personal message. He tends to know a lot about the technicalities of religious life. He has been sick and/or offline a lot lately so it may take him a little time to respond.

[/quote]

Ave maria!

I sent him a PM about last two weeks but he's yet to reply.But it seems the topic is ambigous or will i say difficult and broad.

Ave maria!

[quote="chryso, post:10, topic:328548"]
Ave maria!

I sent him a PM about last two weeks but he's yet to reply.But it seems the topic is ambigous or will i say difficult and broad.

Ave maria!

[/quote]

I don't think it is that it is difficult and broad it's just that it gets into technicalities that most on here don't have any idea about. Since I am in OFS, I know the official differences between promises within the church and vows. I even know that there is a difference between simple and solemn vows and what a few of those differences are but don't know all the whys and wherefores. Personally I could have sworn that I heard that releasing someone from simple vows don't have to go all the way to the Vatican. I think the only people that get into that type of stuff are either people in the religious communities themselves and/or canon lawyers.

Pax et bonum,
Jim

Ave maria!

I have asked many religious of which some dont even know that there exist such distinctions between both vows,some even end up arguing with me that they are all the same and that they have the same benefits and effects; as you said its really technical!

Ave maria!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.