Religious wedding favor ideas

I started this thread forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=508298 and only got one reply, so I thought I’d try linking to it here. Basically, my fiance and I are thinking of ideas for wedding favors, and would like to give something that is religious or spiritual. Like a single-decade rosary, for example.

Has anyone ever given or gotten a religious favor? Any ideas on it?

Here are my thoughts:

If favors are a custom in your part of the country, go with something edible.

Anything you will be able to afford to purchase in quantity for all guests will be something pretty cheap. A plastic rosary isn’t everyone’s idea of a nice wedding favor. If it’s a small wedding and you could get something nice for each guests, perhaps this would be different.

I have too many plastic rosaries hanging around this house as it is. Many Catholics will probably leave it behind if they, like me, have enough small religious articles around.

Not everyone that will attend your wedding will be a Catholic, so they will likely leave this favor behind.

Now, something like a personalized prayer card might be cool. The make those for funerals, I’m sure you could get one for your wedding. But, I’d include that at the ceremony, not as a reception favor.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:219041"]
Here are my thoughts:

If favors are a custom in your part of the country, go with something edible.

Anything you will be able to afford to purchase in quantity for all guests will be something pretty cheap. A plastic rosary isn't everyone's idea of a nice wedding favor. If it's a small wedding and you could get something nice for each guests, perhaps this would be different.

I have too many plastic rosaries hanging around this house as it is. Many Catholics will probably leave it behind if they, like me, have enough small religious articles around.

Not everyone that will attend your wedding will be a Catholic, so they will likely leave this favor behind.

Now, something like a personalized prayer card might be cool. They make those for funerals, I'm sure you could get one for your wedding. But, I'd include that at the ceremony, not as a reception favor.

[/quote]

I second what he said. The prayer card would be a nice custom to start, as well. New priests often have those to commemorate their ordinations, too, so it isn't just for funerals.

Well, if you are sure that people will want a Catholic favor, then go with that idea, but like 1ke said, if not everyone there is Catholic they may not appreciate it?

If you are wanting to do something Catholic you could make Sacrifice beads
thelittleways.com/how-to-make-sacrifice-beads

And perhaps not everyone has one of those like most people have rosaries.

For my wedding I made sea glass candy and put it in little plastic containers that said love on them. This was very cheap and easy. We had people from different denominations at our wedding though.
brokenfortress.blogspot.com/2010/09/wedding-favors-sea-glass-candy.html

I like the idea of a prayer card... something with a "marriage blessing" type prayer would be beautiful! :)

what time of year is the wedding... what kind of budget are you setting for this item?

[quote="BrokenFortress, post:4, topic:219041"]
Well, if you are sure that people will want a Catholic favor, then go with that idea, but like 1ke said, if not everyone there is Catholic they may not appreciate it?

If you are wanting to do something Catholic you could make Sacrifice beads
thelittleways.com/how-to-make-sacrifice-beads

And perhaps not everyone has one of those like most people have rosaries.

For my wedding I made sea glass candy and put it in little plastic containers that said love on them. This was very cheap and easy. We had people from different denominations at our wedding though.
brokenfortress.blogspot.com/2010/09/wedding-favors-sea-glass-candy.html

[/quote]

The candy sounds awesome!

We have also thought about giving out those small round candy/mint tins with something inside it. I found one design that has a cross on it.

We have a small budget too. We are hoping not to have to pay more than $1 per item, though the decade rosaries we found online are more, because they're not the dinky plastic ones.

I've also thought of the idea of printing book marks with a bible verse.

Edit: The wedding is in July.

We included these bostoncatholic.org/Offices-And-Services/Office-Detail.aspx?id=12390&pid=478 in our wedding programs. I put a small sticker on the bottom with our Names and Wedding Date (used small address labels from Staples).

At our reception, we gave out these bracelets heritagehouse76.com/pro_life_products_details.asp?prod_id=2053&display_grouping_id=&group_id=206&page=1&site_id=1&look=1 (they are like the Lance Armstrong bracelets) but they were green then, and actually matched our bridesmaids dresses! I attached a small business card with a note about how we appreciate the love and support of our friends and families, and that we wanted to share our joy with others, so, instead of getting traditional favors, we made a donation to our diocese pro-life office, pregnancy help center, and the Project Rachel ministry. We gave a donation to the Pro-Life Office, and actually have decided to give a donation to them each year on our anniversary, to keep passing the joy on to others who need it. The cause is near and dear to each of our hearts, something our families and friends know, and I loved seeing all my little cousins running around wearing the "Life if Precious" bracelets! (especially since my nickname from my mom when I was little was Precious).

Ok... How about printing, on card stock, some relavant bible verses... and attaching A favorite Oxidized Medal.
they are .50 each. Can be attached via hole punch and pretty thin satin ribbon in your wedding colors.

You could do St. Valentine (patron saint of love, as I'm sure you know) or any other that is important to you...

I actually have this quality of medal on my key chain (that way I don't worry about it getting beat up.)

Congratz on your engagement!

[quote="faithfully, post:9, topic:219041"]
Ok... How about printing, on card stock, some relavant bible verses... and attaching A favorite Oxidized Medal.
they are .50 each. Can be attached via hole punch and pretty thin satin ribbon in your wedding colors.

You could do St. Valentine (patron saint of love, as I'm sure you know) or any other that is important to you...

I actually have this quality of medal on my key chain (that way I don't worry about it getting beat up.)

[/quote]

That's a really nice idea. We are actually getting married on the feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

IN my experience most wedding favours get chucked out or left behind, so I tend to think that there is no need to give them at all. People don't miss them and it is one less cost and thing to think about.

[quote="Bluegoat, post:12, topic:219041"]
IN my experience most wedding favours get chucked out or left behind, so I tend to think that there is no need to give them at all. People don't miss them and it is one less cost and thing to think about.

[/quote]

Yea, we don't think they are necessary either, which is why we definitely don't want to do things that are too expensive. That and we have a small budget.

[quote="Fidelia, post:13, topic:219041"]
Yea, we don't think they are necessary either, which is why we definitely don't want to do things that are too expensive. That and we have a small budget.

[/quote]

Amen to small budget, plus immigration costs, so smaller the better. I just want to do something small and edible. Like cute candies or something. Plus, most of my friends on my side are very anti-Catholic, so something religious would tick them off.

Friends of mine took the money they would have spent on favors and made a donation to their favorite charity. Then on the table they put cards telling their guests that a donation was made in the name of all their guests. I thought it was a lovely idea.

If you wanted to go with something edible, you could do a small box of candies with a verse printed on cardstock inside.

We did Hershey's kisses in these little brown boxes that said "Kisses from the Mr. and Mrs." It still makes me giggle today almost 5 years later. It was super cheap though, we bought the candy in bulk and the boxes were only a few cents each. We got clear plastic stickers that could be printed on and put them on the inside of the box.

[quote="Fidelia, post:7, topic:219041"]
The candy sounds awesome!

We have also thought about giving out those small round candy/mint tins with something inside it. I found one design that has a cross on it.

We have a small budget too. We are hoping not to have to pay more than $1 per item, though the decade rosaries we found online are more, because they're not the dinky plastic ones.

I've also thought of the idea of printing book marks with a bible verse.

Edit: The wedding is in July.

[/quote]

Specialty Bottle has really inexpensive little tins. Way cheaper than you can get them retail. I bought 1 oz tins.

specialtybottle.com/

We put M&Ms in ours, ordered in our wedding colors. I got personalized ones, but you don't have to.

mymms.com/

And then I bought round labels from Planet Label and printed our own sentiment on them and affixed them to the tin tops.

planetlabel.com/

And if you want small little boxes instead of tins, go to www.papermart.com

[quote="Fidelia, post:13, topic:219041"]

[/quote]

If you don't think they are necessary, then don't do a favor.

[quote="CountrySinger, post:14, topic:219041"]
Amen to small budget, plus immigration costs, so smaller the better. I just want to do something small and edible. Like cute candies or something. Plus, most of my friends on my side are very anti-Catholic, so something religious would tick them off.

[/quote]

Eh? Everybody does their own wedding their own way. It's your wedding, not theirs.

We didn't have favors at our wedding, while I think they are nice if you want to have favors they are not something that is necessary.

If you feel you need something I like the idea of something edible or a prayer card. Like others have said most wedding favors end up either thrown out or left behind.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.