Religous discrimination

The State Bar of Arizona is considering whether to require new attorneys to swear they will not let their views on sexual orientation get in the way of providing legal services.

secularheretic-st.blogspot.com/secularheretic-st.blogspot.com/

One lawyer thinks the campaign is going nationwide and will be a tool used by homosexuals to hold back Christian lawyers.

Does this mean that all Catholic lawyers in the state of Arizona will now either have to apostatize from the faith or lose their jobs?

A person’s views on sexual orientation should not let their views on sexual orientation get in the way of providing legal services.

A person should not be able to refuse legal services to someone just because of their sexual orientation. (If they harras them, that’s different)

A person should not be able to refuse legal services to a company ONLY because of their friendliness towards those of any particular sexual orientation.

A person should not be able to deny services (medical services, or customer/client services) based on someone’s sexual orientation. I don’t want to see gay pride parades, but if they’re going to have them, you bet I want there to be some kind of security (as there should be at all events that are controversial, or that simply are expected to bring a lot of people) at them.

An organization that receives public funding should not be allowed to deny membership to, refuse donation/services to/from anyone because of their sexual orientation.

They’re not paying them to question the morality of their lifestyle- they’re there to provide a service. That’s not “religious descrimination”- that’s a legal way of saying “mind your own business.”

I don’t think they should discriminate because they have a same sex attraction.
The lawyer seems to think it could be a problem though and that “homosexual activist” could use it to silence those who speak out against homosexual acts.

They could, and they probably will eventually, unfortunately. I’m not sure it’s at that point just yet though.

That’s…a very…unusual picture in your signature…it’s…kinda creepy actually…

I agree with the sentiment to an extent. HOWEVER, a lawyer should not have to provide a service he finds morally objectionable such as being forced to file suit because a state disallows same sex marriage.

I agree with that you should have a choice in what job you do. This choice should have nothing to do with your eligibility to be registered.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.