Remember To Keep Holy The Lord's Day/Forcing People To Work On Sunday

I don’t know if this is the right forum to put in a thread like this. But if it isn’t, I’m sure it’ll get moved.

Anyways, I got a situation here and I wanted to know what my fellow Catholics had to say about it. I work at the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a Helpdesk Technician. It’s a very stressful, hectic, and fast paced job that includes a lot of availablity due to all the customers who call needing assistance. I don’t really like my job, but I’ve learned to deal with it considering the fact that I have an almost 2 year old son and a fiancee to support. So I kinda need this now. My shifts consist of Mondays-Fridays 6am-2:30 pm with the options of working certain shifts on the weekends. Particularly to make up hours in advance or for a day missed.

In the entire course of a year that I’ve spent working up here, those shifts have always been voluntary. But recently we’ve had a decline in numbers of people volunteering to work on the weekends. So just today my supervisors were walking around asking people if they could work this weekend. Since most of them turned it down, now their talking about drafting people to work on the weekends if they don’t get enough volunteers. Which I think is very unfair.

Now I’m pretty sure all of us here are familiar with the third commandment. Remember to keep holy the lord’s day. And from my understanding when it comes to work, that commandment has always stated that clearly that if it’s possible, you should refrain from workin on the Lord’s day and dedicate that day to the lord. By praying, going to church, etc., etc. It’s a commandment we’ve honored for more then 2,000 years and one that I’d like to think we still honor. Granted not everyone in the world is Catholic and that’s why in the ealier years of this country people weren’t working on Sundays but recently they have been. But still, I highly think it’s unfair and not right for them to make me work on a day that’s supposed to be a day to dedicate to my God and refrain from working. The whole country may not be Catholic, but I certainly am. And I don’t think it’s right or even LEGAL for them to make me do that.

What is your guys’ opinion on this matter? And also, if this does go down, WOULD it be a violation of my rights as a catholic/christian? And if so, what can be done about it?..

I have a job that involves some weekend shifts. Everyone is required to work some weekends so that no one is burdened more than anyone else. We’re given choices in terms of marking off days we’re unavailable and also stating a preference for working Saturday, Sunday, or either. I always state a preference for Saturday and it’s never been a problem since more of my colleagues prefer working on Sundays.

Whether they can force you to work on weekends is not a simple question. Was it stated in your job description when you were hired that it may involve weekends? Do you have a union contract and if so, what does it say? Is everyone being treated equally in terms of assigning weekend shifts? If you are assigned a Sunday and would prefer not to work that day can you swap with someone else?

The sabbath was made for man not man for the sabbath.

Doctors and surgeons have to work Sundays, firefighters have to work Sundays, the police have to work Sundays… Imagine if people all decided they wanted to take Sundays off…

Sorry, but bull skittles. You don’t honor the sabbath. Israel honors it. Compared to their standards, you blatantly ignore it. If you want to take serious the claim of doing no work on the Sabbath (Which is Saturday, not Sunday. Saturday is the Sabbath, Sunday is The Lord’s Day, the day The Lord rose from the dead)

If you want to follow the 3rd commandment to the fullest, read this. jewfaq.org/shabbat.htm They being the people who’ve longest observed the holy day, I’d think they have a bit to say on the issue of what is and is not permissible. I’m sorry I can’t find actual Catholic teachings on it, as what I have found is either incredibly vague, or just a history lesson.

However according to the Jews, the word used as far as what work to be avoided was more of a creative work and not a physical work. One of the things backing that up is God’s creation was a creative work, and not a physical one. He made no physical effort. It was so easy, he merely spoke creation into existence.

A similar case has already gone to federal court and the Christian won. But the victory only came after she had been fired.

ADF and the Christian Law Association together filed the case, Rehm v. Rolling Hills Consolidated Library, in August 2004 (www.telladf.org/news/story.aspx?cid=2776). In May of 2003, librarian Constance Rehm was fired after refusing to work on Sunday because of her religious beliefs. According to Title VII of the Federal Civil Rights Act, an employee’s request for accommodation based upon a sincere religious belief can only be denied if the employer can demonstrate that the request would cause undue hardship.

“Not only did the library fail to make its case for denying this librarian’s request, library officials crossed the line in firing her for insubordination,” said LaPlante. “The library should not require an employee to violate her conscience, effectively forcing her to choose between her religious beliefs and her job.”

A copy of the trial minutes from the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, St. Joseph Division, can be read at www.telladf.org/UserDocs/RehmMinutes.pdf.

alliancedefensefund.org/news/story.aspx?cid=3745

I like SuscipeMeDomine’s suggestion to volunteer to work Saturdays in exchange for Sundays off.

Dear Friend.

The biblical Sabath is on Saturday not Sunday. The bible says the Lord created the Sabath on the seventh day after he made the earth for six days and rested on the seventh. The 4th commandment which is

Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

and also the 2nd commandment which is

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

Was changed by the catholic church and thats why you see catholics bowing down to statues of mary,worshiping mary and praying to her and keeping a different day which is Sunday and they gave it a name i.e the Lords day. We should not pray to mary or any other saint. We should only pray to God the Father through our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus and Jesus alone and no other. Go even to wikipedia and type “10 commandments” and see the commandments. the link is

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments

Dear Friend i seek not to hurt you feelings but its better to have the truth at all costs. The bible fortold this apostasy would come to pass just before the return of Jesus which is soon to come. If you wan’t proof that the sabath is saturday just check which day have the jews always kept and Moses and most of the prophets came from you will find its Saturday. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat.

Must Read books The Great Controversy by Ellen G white

Excellent websites with eye opening videos that you must check out that will teach you bible prophecy and who the antichrist is and what the mark of the beast is

john1429.org/

www.3abn.org

whitehorsemedia.com/

www.youtube.com/user/TheForerunner777

May God bless you and bring you to a knowledge of his truth

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.