'Remote control' contraceptive chip available 'by 2018'

’Remote control’ contraceptive chip available 'by 2018’

A contraceptive computer chip that can be controlled by remote control has been developed in Massachusetts.

The chip is implanted under a woman’s skin, releasing a small dose of levonorgestrel, a hormone.

This will happen every day for 16 years, but can be stopped at any time by using a wireless remote control.

(read more)

Every day for 16 years!? So that means one chip will contain approximately 5844 daily doses of the hormone. I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable having that much of a drug in my body and simply trusting that the “time release” function will work properly.

Probably I’m just paranoid, but doesn’t it sound like something somoene could have implanted in them without their knowledge and/or consent, and then someone else could decide when the contraceptives were released?

I could see this being used on exploited sex workers, for example–one more violation of their bodies without their control.

Also, anything that can be controlled remotely can be hacked remotely. They can do what they like about security, but it only makes it less likely, not impossible. I can’t see myself going for this even if I thought ABC was OK.

And of course you’re right, I’d want to know what happens if the implant site gets accidentally, say, hit with a baseball or something, or alternatively if you are electrocuted (hit by lightening or something). Do you get 16 years worth of the hormone at once? What happens to you if so?

–Jen

So what happens when someone hacks your chip and either turns it off or worse, causes it to release 5.8K doses all at once?

This is probably impossible. They will likely have some form of failsafe to make sure the chip is incapable of releasing more than one dosage every 24 hours.

I would be more worried about physical contact with whatever area of the body the chip is in snapping it. Imagine a skateboarding-style accident where the bone breaks so bad it breaks the skin. Now imagine if that bone hit the chip on its path.

The article does say that they are incorporating security measures such that the remote actually has to be pressed against the person’s skin in order to work (thus not allowing for someone to commandeer it from across the room). Maybe. Like Jen said, I’d still have a hard time believing it was impossible for it to be hacked.

Good point about the lightning strike. It says that it works be sending a little impulse to melt the membrane of one dose and release the hormone. I would think a large jolt would somewhat confuse that process.

The article goes on to say that “The same technology could be used to administer other drugs.” That’s a bit scary, too. Imagine the applications for illegal drugs…

:stuck_out_tongue: I think HHS is already penciling it in as an item to be covered in full under the ACA. :wink:

No thanks. This is so insulting to women.

Makes for creepy sci-fi toward the day when all humans are sterile and produced by way of cloning anyway. No more mothers or fathers… But the inscribed nature of gender will remain in DNA and those clones will be restless… Roll credits and theme song…

Side effects include… bleeding, severe mood swings, thoughts of suicide, 100% chance of being permantly sterile, cancer, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc, robotic movement of limbs and death…goverment may be subject to track your location with device upon your request.

:smiley:

Have they determined what a megadose of this hormone would do to her body?

If one is hit by lightning, this should be the least of their concerns…

ICXC NIKA

Anything that involves a chip under the skin creeps me out. Like the song says: welcome to the new age.

Also, from being married to a senior expert software engineer, I can tell all of you that anything that contains a chip, no matter how much security is in place, can be hacked by someone like my deceased first husband (who had the expertise to know how to do it). Peoplr would be very creeped out if they would find out what people with the level of knowledge my first husband had, can do and the things they are capable of hacking into

People have survived lightening strikes. I wonder if anyone has ever survived, say, 10 years worth of birth control medication all in one go.

And of course, lightening strikes are an extreme example. Normal electrocution from the power supply might conceivably have the same effect, especially if the contact was near the implant site.

And one tends to doubt that they would be able to test that out on people.

–Jen

Seriously. “Can’t be hacked” just isn’t a thing that exists. “More trouble than it’s worth to hack” is as close as you get.

And then, of course, there’s the problem of losing the remote or someone taking it.

–Jen

P.S. I’m creeped out by the GPS in my phone, let alone a chip in my body. :smiley:

Actually, I like the prospects of this technology for medical treatment.

I think if any of us faced a life-limiting or ending illness, we’d easily live with the chip in our somas.

ICXC NIKA.

Oh believe me cell phones are to be creeped out too.

Ugh-sounds monsterous to me. And yes there will be abuses-don’t think some government won’t require some of it’s citizens to get it.

Father Z weighed in here: Scary remote-controlled implanted microchip for “contraception”. What could go wrong?

Wow. This is horrible. Lord, have mercy!

Not only this but this may be the stepping stone to start installing microships on people. I am sure they will use this as tool to get people used to the idea of having microships installed under the skin. Very creepy. Sci-fi is nothing con compared to this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.