Remote Presence/ Answer to priest shortage?

Remote Presence is the ability to project yourself from one location to another to hear, see, talk and move around as though you were there.

InTouch Technologies is on the cutting edge of bringing telecommunications and mobile robotic technology so that physicians can visit more often with patients and hospital staff.

Click on the Today and Business Week symbols to view the video of how it works.

I imagine this same technology could increase the presence of priests. Perhaps this is an answer to the increasing priest shortage? I can imagine the robot zooming around with a roman collar rather than a doctor’s coat. Just a thought.

No thoughts either way - physicians - priests? Who else can the ‘Remote Presence’ substitute for?

I think that would be wrong to not have a human priest. firstly only people can be priests and also a robot couldnot give you spirtual advice sry but that is stupid

Ummm…no. This could never work. A man cannot program a machine to do all that priests do- a man can’t even do what a priest does himself (he must rely on God’s grace, or he will fail miserably).

We get the priests we deserve…if you want more, pray for the ones we do have, and that more men are inspired to become priests.

The answer to the priest shortage: make your life a heartfelt prayer for the return of lost souls to God, and that people will have the courage to find and follow the vocation God is calling them to.

m134e5 & gym33karate
I don’t believe either of you read or watched how this Remote Presence works. Remote Presence projects the user from one location to another to hear, see, talk and move around as though he/she were there.
Can’t you see a priest projecting himself in a prison or nursing home via Remote Presence?

For what? He couldn’t hear confession or perform extreme unction validly – and I think it might send the wrong pastoral message that the priest only shows up as a techno-doppelganger rather than in person.

It might work for committee meetings though.

Confession and extreme unction would be out of the question. At first I felt it might send out the wrong pastoral message. Although as our priest population ages this Robot Presence could bridge them to places they might not otherwise be.

Committee meetings? Now you are thinking.

I imagined first my physician appearing at my hospital bedside as a coated techno robot and was appalled but then I could see how this is likely to happen as aging baby boomers increasingly seek medical help.

Wait… outsourcing priests online? lol ok… Atleast that would pretty much kill the molestation rates.

think that would be wrong to not have a human priest. firstly only people can be priests and also a robot couldnot give you spirtual advice sry but that is stupid

Why?

sry but that is still stupid you know when a priest cares when he comes in person to do things, not some projector

A conference call or webcam would be cheaper.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.