Renaissance painting stolen from Norwegian church

A 450-year-old painting by Renaissance artist Lucas Cranach the Elder has been stolen from a Lutheran church in the southern Norway town of Larvik, police said Sunday.

Art expert Gunnar Krogh-Hansen estimated “Suffer the Little Children to Come Unto Me” could be worth 15-20 million kroner ($2.1-$2.8 million). It was probably painted around 1540.

The theft was discovered when firefighters responded to an alarm at the church around 1:30 am (0030 GMT) Sunday, and found a broken window and a ladder outside.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090308/ap_on_re_eu/eu_norway_art_theft

Hans Cranach the Elder 1540 Stolen from Larvik, Norway church - See this image on Photobucket.

I guess such theft doesn’t just affect Catholic churches.

You know, in the 90s there were a lot of church burnings by Norwegian Theistic Satanists. Not to point fingers, but I wonder if there is a connection. :confused:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

What a beautiful piece of art, it’s simply horrible to think someone had stolen it for either greed or perhaps even symbolical reasons…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.