Renewing baptism ideas?

Hello! This spring will be the 10th anniversary of my baptism, and I would like to renew my baptismal vows in the place where I was baptized (Protestant denomination), partly for the Year of Faith indulgence but especially to make up for the fact that I privately renounced my baptism somewhere between then and now. I would probably need permission to visit the baptismal font, as it is located in a difficult-to-access area of my former church. What do people generally do in this situation? It would be just me, but is there a ceremony that I should follow? I was planning to wear the necklace that I was given at my baptism. Is there a special renewal of baptismal promises that should be recited? Any ideas are welcome, thanks!

One thing that that has bothered me about my baptism is the fact that the pastor who taught baptism classes told us that baptism was a sign of obedience but it would not do anything. I realize that the Catholic Church accepts my baptism regardless of the fact that neither me nor my pastor believed in a baptism of regeneration, but it is still worrisome. Should my renewal of baptismal vows include any kind of ammendment that would take this into account?

Thanks!

Any Catholic Rite of baptismal vows is permitted to be used. I renewed mine alone, asking myself the question and then answering. :slight_smile:

This is the statement made by the Vatican: “On any day they chose, during the Year of Faith, if they make a pious visit to the baptistery, or other place in which they received the Sacrament of Baptism, and there renew their baptismal promises in any legitimate form.”

Here is the Roman Rite:

V. Do you reject Satan?
R. I do.

V. And all his works?
R. I do.

V. And all his empty promises?
R. I do.

V. Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth?
R. I do.

V. Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?
R. I do.

V. Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting?
R. I do.

V. God, the all-powerful Father of our Lord Jesus Christ has given us a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, and forgiven all our sins. May he also keep us faithful to our Lord Jesus Christ for ever and ever.
R. Amen.

1. To gain indulgences, whether plenary or partial, it is necessary that the faithful be in the state of grace at least at the time the indulgenced work is completed.

2. A plenary indulgence can be gained only once a day. In order to obtain it, the faithful must, in addition to being in the state of grace:

— have the interior disposition of complete detachment from sin, even venial sin;
— have sacramentally confessed their sins;
— receive the Holy Eucharist (it is certainly better to receive it while participating in Holy Mass, but for the indulgence only Holy Communion is required);
— pray for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff.

1. It is appropriate, but not necessary, that the sacramental Confession and especially Holy Communion and the prayer for the Pope's intentions take place on the same day that the indulgenced work is performed; but it is sufficient that these sacred rites and prayers be carried out within several days (about 20) before or after the indulgenced act. Prayer for the Pope's intentions is left to the choice of the faithful, but an "Our Father" and a "Hail Mary" are suggested. One sacramental Confession suffices for several plenary indulgences, but a separate Holy Communion and a separate prayer for the Holy Father's intentions are required for each plenary indulgence.

2. For the sake of those legitimately impeded, confessors can commute both the work prescribed and the conditions required (except, obviously, detachment from even venial sin).

3. Indulgences can always be applied either to oneself or to the souls of the deceased, but they cannot be applied to other persons living on earth.

Source: vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_pro_20000129_indulgence_en.html

Thanks Zekariya! ;)

[quote="SecretaryMonday, post:4, topic:319873"]
Thanks Zekariya! ;)

[/quote]

My pleasure! :thumbsup: Have a joyous time!

How are you??
Just wanted to comment on your thoughts.

Since the time you came into Catholicism, have you attended the Easter Vigil ??
If I may suggest you do, part of this beautiful celebration is that specifically “baptism renewal”, where you personally answer to the questions being asked for the renewal of the baptism.

Have a good day !

Here is a formula specifically tailored to one renewing his baptismal promises privately:

ourladyswarriors.org/indulge/g70.htm

[quote="Odiazlv, post:6, topic:319873"]
How are you??
Just wanted to comment on your thoughts.

Since the time you came into Catholicism, have you attended the Easter Vigil ??
If I may suggest you do, part of this beautiful celebration is that specifically "baptism renewal", where you personally answer to the questions being asked for the renewal of the baptism.

Have a good day !

[/quote]

Yep, I'll soon be celebrating my second Vigil.

[quote="aemcpa, post:7, topic:319873"]
Here is a formula specifically tailored to one renewing his baptismal promises privately:

ourladyswarriors.org/indulge/g70.htm

[/quote]

Thanks, that looks helpful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.