Repeat Offender Gets Life in Jail After Mississippi Bra Theft

Repeat Offender Gets Life in Jail After Mississippi Bra Theft
forums.catholic.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=67

The theft of bras from a local department store was enough for a judge in Mississippi to put a habitual criminal from a neighboring state behind bars -- for life, MyFoxMemphis.com reported.

Miss. police were called after a Kohl’s store employee caught Darnell Wilson stuffing clothes into a garbage bag. Wilson reportedly said the stolen clothes, including bras, were going to be used for his job in Memphis.

"He explained that he was a prostitute – a transvestite prostitute," said Desoto County District Attorney Smithe Murphey.

This wasn’t Wilson’s first run-in with the law. He has a long criminal history, including 18 arrests involving charges for aggravated robbery, kidnapping, and sexual battery in Tennessee, MyFoxMemphis reported.

Murphey used Mississippi’s strict habitual offender law, which allows prosecutors to combine Mississippi felony arrests with those in other states to define the accused as a habitual offender, to put Wilson behind bars for three consecutive life sentences.
"Each community sets their standards," said Murphey. "And we have standards that we're not going to tolerate 18 time convicted felons to keep walking around without any repercussions."

Wilson had led police in a car chase following the Kohl’s theft. They had to use spike strips to blow out his car tires in order to stop and arrest him.
Click here for more on this story from MyFoxMemphis.com

Yanno... in theory, the three strikes law is a good one. But I am not entirely comfortable with sending someone to prison for life on a shoplifting arrest.

On the other hand, he resisted arrest and then caused a high speed chase.

And then, it doesn't seem his initial charge was simply shoplifting, but grand larceny, since the value of the clothing he was stealing was worth more than $500.

Grand larceny carries a 10-year maximum prison sentence and assault on an officer and felony fleeing each carry five-year sentences. Since Wilson has a history of felonies, he was charged as a habitual offender, which carries a life sentence with no parole.

"Wilson's priors date back to 1985 for possession of a pistol in a club, attempt to commit a felony robbery, attempt to commit felony kidnapping, attempt of felony sexual battery, sale of imitation cocaine and possession of narcotics while in jail," Murphy said.

desototimes.com/articles/2010/06/24/news/doc4c237aaf8ac8a594895921.txt

I dunno... he is 44 years old. That's pretty darn old to be working as a prostitute, let alone as a transvestite prostitute (since guys posing as women tend to look about 10 years older than they are.)

The guy needed help in his life. Doesn't sound like he is going to get it now, but it does sound like there will be less crime in that area.

So now the public gets to support him instead of employment at his previous "occupation."

Free food, clothing, housing, legal services, medical attention, with no chance of being fired or "laid off." Actually, it seems an awful lot like being in the military...

Sounds pretty decent to me... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/Shrug.gif

[quote="Ponyguy, post:3, topic:203252"]
So now the public gets to support him instead of employment at his previous "occupation."

Free food, clothing, housing, legal services, medical attention, with no chance of being fired or "laid off." Actually, it seems an awful lot like being in the military...

Sounds pretty decent to me... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ponyguy/Shrug.gif

[/quote]

Don’t even compare lifelong convicts with Professional Soldiers you have just insulted every veteran in the United States!!!

Being in the military not everything is free we’re paid to train and kill the enemy for every hour of sweat we train is one drop of blood [FONT=Calibri]on the battlefield![/FONT]

We do not sit in our bunks not doing anything; as for free medical we copay it’s not free!

If I misunderstood your post let me know?

Okay, Stanwhateveryourname is...

I AM a military veteran, Honorably Discharged, and yes I did shed my blood so you can hurl your vitriol at me. I come from a family of veterans... Army, Navy and Air Force, and I insult nobody without reason.

And my statement was that just like being in the military, both the convicts and the military servicemen get 3 squares, clothing assigned, and a bunk. And we're essentially held "captive" within our military base, or camp, or our ship, like the convicts are bound in prison. And I never got a bill or had to pay anything for medical care when I was in the base hospital or the doctor's office while I served.

And, like I said, the unemployment rate is zero in the military, and you aren't really "free" from military responsibility until you're discharged... criminals are likewise subservient until discharged (or pardoned).

[quote="Ponyguy, post:5, topic:203252"]
Okay, Stanwhateveryourname is...

I AM a military veteran, Honorably Discharged, and yes I did shed my blood so you can hurl your vitriol at me. I come from a family of veterans... Army, Navy and Air Force, and I insult nobody without reason.

And my statement was that just like being in the military, both the convicts and the military servicemen get 3 squares, clothing assigned, and a bunk. And we're essentially held "captive" within our military base, or camp, or our ship, like the convicts are bound in prison. And I never got a bill or had to pay anything for medical care when I was in the base hospital or the doctor's office while I served.

And, like I said, the unemployment rate is zero in the military, and you aren't really "free" from military responsibility until you're discharged... criminals are likewise subservient until discharged (or pardoned).

[/quote]

Being a convict is punishment for a crime—Serving in the United States military is an honor.

It’s hard for me to believe a combat veteran would compare the two—I can’t believe the statements you’ve made—you are wrongheaded sir!

You are saying that our veterans and our fallen heroes are no better than murderers, rapists, and cutthroats?

That is an insult sir!

Does this convict have a minimum period for parole at least? Cos life without parole (a sentence many don't get for homicide, even in America) for persistent theft and other habitual crime, sounds far too strict. Britain--where I'm from--has recently given more criminals considered dangerous or convicted many times indefinite terms with a minimum: but they've usually committed more violent offences than this I think.

I think the volunteer military-prison analogy does has a potential to offend, even if it wasn't meant broadly. Conscription could seem like punishment and captivity I guess to those unwilling to do (or scared--like I would be if Britain had it). Though I get the counter-arguments of responsibility to country, common defence, citizen responsibility etc.

In Britain you don't have to be in jail or the military to never get a healthcare bill (if dentistry, glasses and subsidised prescriptions--with means-tested help for these--are excluded).

[quote="kingal86, post:7, topic:203252"]
Does this convict have a minimum period for parole at least?

[/quote]

According to two different news stories, no, there is no possibility of parole under Mississippi's "Three Stikes" law.

desototimes.com/articles/2010/06/24/news/doc4c237aaf8ac8a594895921.txt

myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/Shoplifting-Lands-Mid-South-Man-Life-In-Prison/wblMKEmzG0GQ3457PT5txQ.cspx

[quote="kingal86, post:7, topic:203252"]
Cos life without parole (a sentence many don't get for homicide, even in America) for persistent theft and other habitual crime, sounds far too strict.

[/quote]

Yes, it does sound overly harsh. Presumably once someone gets into their late sixties or early seventies, they will be much less likely to commit crimes than when they were younger. There probably isn't much purpose in keeping them locked up at that point.

On the other hand, Mr. Wilson apparently testified in court that he was a professional shoplifter, since his earnings as a prostitute were inadequate. So its reasonable to expect that he would continue to commit crimes in the near future. And then, when he is of retirement age, I am not sure he will qualify for Social Security benefits, since it is unclear whether he ever held a legitimate full-time job for ten years or more. If he doesn't qualify for retirement benefits, he will have difficulty providing for himself in old age.... and might be tempted to commit more crimes.

His life is pretty much messed up for good, at this point.

[quote="stanmaxkolbe, post:6, topic:203252"]
QFT
You are saying that our veterans and our fallen heroes are no better than murderers, rapists, and cutthroats?

[/quote]

STOP PUTTING WORDS INTO MY MOUTH!

I NEVER SAID THAT OUR VETERANS WERE NO BETTER THAN CRIMINALS, YOU IGNORANT, DASTARDLY, EXAGGERATING POLTROON!

WHAT I DID say was that both groups of people lived in similar circumstances: They are given free food, shelter, health care and clothing. And neither group was "free" to come and go as they pleased.
And I'm **not **very happy about those circumstances; why should those criminals be mollycoddled on the public teat, while our servicemen are treated no better, but serve in fear for their lives every day?
Yes, what I said was harsh... and it was meant to be. I'm angry to the point of another cardiac arrest that we treat the scum of society (if criminals are really part of "society") with more compassion than the innocent victims of those vile excreta.

Learn how to read... and understand... more than just the letters appearing on the screen. Then I won't have to explain things to you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.