Repentance and Greek meaning

My mother is involved in an antinomianism evangelical group. I often try to plant seeds with her. One issue that I’ve been coming up against is her understanding of the term “repentance.” She tells me that the Greek word for repentance means something like “change of direction.” Therefore, she seems to reject any form of contrition for sin committed by a believer. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of belief?

JMR

Repentance is a Protestant heresy. The correct translation from the vulgate is penance.

“And Peter said to them, Do ye penance [Penance, he said, do ye], and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, into remission of your sins; and ye shall take the gift of the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 2:38, WYC)

I would suggest that you find out the exact context or contexts she is referring to. Sometimes different words, or variations on words can have different meanings and the translations from Greek to English can be tricky.

Peace
James

Act 26:20

But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet (befitting, congruous, corresponding to) for repentance.

Yes the word is metanoia, change in one’s way of life resulting from penitence. Why else would one changes ones life if they were not contrite? Tell her the meaning of to be contrite is to be repentant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.