Repentance necessary for Baptism?

Now for clarification I do believe what the Church teaches. But thinking about the topic of Infant Baptism lead me to a question I hope some of you can answer for me.

What is the point of repenting and then becoming baptized in the bible if repentance is not necessary. Doesn't baptism wash away all sin?

Not sure I understand what you are asking vis a vis infant baptism and repentance. An infant is innocent of all but original sin, and is baptised without the need for repentance. An adult would be baptised into the Church but does not confess his or her sins to a priest, since the Sacrament of Reconciliation is availed to Catholics only. Even so, an adult convert should certainly repent and be sorry for his or her past sins, which with original sin, are wiped away from God's remembrance in baptism.

I would say yes!

Acts 2:38:

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

The desire for metanoia, to change one's life, comes before Baptism.

Do we need specific repentance for each sin? No.

[quote="Stylites, post:2, topic:293308"]
Not sure I understand what you are asking vis a vis infant baptism and repentance. An infant is innocent of all but original sin, and is baptised without the need for repentance. An adult would be baptised into the Church but does not confess his or her sins to a priest, since the Sacrament of Reconciliation is availed to Catholics only. Even so, an adult convert should certainly repent and be sorry for his or her past sins, which with original sin, are wiped away from God's remembrance in baptism.

[/quote]

I have never considered this before. It helped me a lot. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="Presence, post:1, topic:293308"]
Now for clarification I do believe what the Church teaches. But thinking about the topic of Infant Baptism lead me to a question I hope some of you can answer for me.

What is the point of repenting and then becoming baptized in the bible if repentance is not necessary. Doesn't baptism wash away all sin?

[/quote]

A desire for baptism represents the change of heart adn the desire to be reconciled with our God .. the Rite of Baptism includes repentence .. as in "Do you reject Satan and all his works .... " along with a recognition and submission God/Christ ...

for Children/Infants -` Adults [the Parents and Godparents] seek Baptism on behalf of the child - the desire to conform the life in Christ ... the child is freed from the stain of original sin .. and they make the promises on behalf of the child while also promising to raise them in conformance with the Christian Life ...

Adults speak for themselves of course and in addition to original sin they are freed from all personal sins committed before baptism

In all cases -` a penitential action is included in the Rite

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.