Report: Aide says Nixon's war on drugs targeted blacks, hippies

One of Richard Nixon’s top advisers and a key figure in the Watergate scandal said the war on drugs was created as a political tool to fight blacks and hippies, according to a 22-year-old interview recently published in Harper’s Magazine.
“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people,” former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper’s writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday.

“You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities,” Ehrlichman said. “We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html

Duh. Additional newsflashes - water is wet, fire is hot.

Weren’t weed and heroin both illegal prior to 1968?

Uhm, what’s the lie about heroin? It’s not addicting? It doesn’t destroy lives? :confused:

Associating it with blacks purposely for the purpose of “arrest[ing] their leaders, raid[ing] their homes, break[ing] up their meetings, and vilify[ing] them night after night on the evening news” – that’s the lie.

Nixon didn’t lose his Job because he was a nice guy

Yes, It wasn’t Nixon who made recreational drugs illegal.

this goes to show why a lot of minorities don’t trust the Republican Party.

We can sit here and say, democrats are bad bc they accept abortion, gay marriage, etc. but the Republican Party really doesn’t have a clean identity either.

Whoa!

Let’s give the man some credit. The “war” on drugs had something to do with stopping the flow of money to central and south america, which was funding communist wars down there, or otherwise, the drug cartels. Some of these countries made a lot more money on illegal drugs than on bananas.

“Tin soldiers and Nixon’s coming…”

Really, you knew about that? I didn’t, although it doesn’t surprise me.

I mean, is this really surprising from the man who sabotaged the Vietnam peace talks as a campaign tactic?

This is complete nonsense. No one should believe it. I watched the Hippie and Anarchist counterculture develop in the late 1960s. I personally knew some of these people and their sentiments were broadcast loud and clear by the media. To the naive, gullible and some all too trusting Americans at the time, they were going to make us free! “Don’t trust anyone over 30!” “We’ll burn this country down if we have to!” “Stop the War [in Vietnam].” 1968 was a pivotal year for the war. Since 1964 we had dropped more bombs on Vietnam than all of Nazi occupied Europe during World War II, and the people really running the show, including Defense Contractors, were not going to let ‘the flower children’ ruin their very profitable war.

So, the FBI, which had been a part of military intelligence since World War II, launched a covert program called COINTELPRO. They put surveillance on all Hippie/Anarchist leadership and on all Black leadership and groups, including the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Black Panthers. They tapped rooms and phones, and intercepted mail which was rewritten by experts to insert false wording to instigate internal conflicts, among other things. All under the umbrella of “preventing Communist subversion of these groups,” and, of course, everyone who mattered was checked for ties and monitored for sympathies for Communist causes or promoted Communist ideology. After all, North Vietnam was Communist.

Yes, all those drugs were illegal before Nixon but the anti-war Hippies? After the war, they did what they wanted and worked very hard to preach to the young: "Smoke dope. Drop Acid [LSD, a powerful and dangerous hallucinogen]. Live with and have sex with your girlfriend. Do what we tell you to do, in other words. It would make you free!

Yeah, free to sin.

Ed

I thought it was obvious, but maybe I am a cynic when it comes to such things.

“recreational” ?

Ed

You understand that money is still flowing freely right?

As in taken for fun, not therapy. The vast majority of people who use illegal drugs are not addicts.

Yes, I read this, very curious imo!

Plus, if you go even further back, drugs were originally made illegal in certain cities as a way to keep minorities out of certain areas. Mainly done to control the Chinese immigrants and their opium dens…This is really ridiculous what it has turned into today though, they dont care who you are what part of town you are in or what race you are, they will arrest you just the same!

I think over the years, law enforcement saw what a great revenue stream this ‘war on drugs’ could be, they get to seize any and all property in drug busts, usually this involves large amounts of cash, nice cars, homes, etc. Its really a win win for law enforcement and the cartels for drugs to remain illegal and VERY aggressively enforced.

Just google marijuana rehab, and:

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160316105703.htm

Heroin overdose data from the CDC:

cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/heroin.html

Ed

Why import when anyone can grow it in the US? Even in abandoned or rented homes.

crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2016/02/police-uncover-marijuana-grow-operation-in-arlington-home.html/

tbo.com/news/crime/22-arrested-800-pounds-of-pot-seized-in-grow-house-bust-20160310/

fox5vegas.com/story/31193832/police-bust-southeast-las-vegas-marijuana-grow-house

Why buy if you can grow your own?

Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.